Heather predictions this year

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those beekeepers on or near the heather, whatā€™s your gut feel re the crop this year?

Iā€™ve got to know my local gamekeeper recently. He reckons the last 2 years have cost him 50 years; local ā€˜politicsā€™ means he canā€™t manage the moor as well through burning.

There have been lots of sightings of the heather beetle, see pic - from non beekeepers, saying theyā€™ve seen loads in their gardens up on the ā€˜tops.ā€™ I asked for my local gamekeepers view on the beetle ā€œ Iā€™ve never seen a heather beetle swarm so big as this year. I lost 60 percent last year so not looking goodā€ then you canā€™t predict the damage from the beetle each year: ā€œ some year big swarms no damage.Last year massive damageā€

Whilst has been a cold windy spring, there has been a bit of rain which the heather needs, in may and June I understand but then glorious warm humid weather in august

Any other factors from your experience? Any beetle concerns and your predictions for this season?

Elaine

Back