Last years part filled Supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnabill

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I've been gifted 4 Supers from an elderly Beek who can no longer manage. They were stored in her garage from last year, covered and dry. Some are totally capped and the remainder are part filled with honey exposed and part capped. The frames show no sign of mould. The cappings look like a very light gray in colour, ( similar to seeing a vein on your hand) no smell of fermentation. My query is, can they be put on my hives above the QE and, if they can, should they be bruised? It would be a waste not to use them but...

They are likely granulated by now. Do a search for managing granulated frames.
One possibility is to bruise one box at a time and place it under your hive's brood nest - the bees will hopefully move it and liquefy it in the process. I've had mixed results with this, likely depending on conditions when it is done.

Thanks for the prompt replies. Extraction is likely the route to go down and allow the bees to clean up the comb? She was a competent beekeeper and I'm sure her bees would have been healthy, would the honey likely be ok for my own use?

Thanks for the prompt replies. Extraction is likely the route to go down and allow the bees to clean up the comb? She was a competent beekeeper and I'm sure her bees would have been healthy, would the honey likely be ok for my own use?
You won’t be able to extract them if the stores are granulated so check first

Whilst taking a look at them I managed to knock a couple and the honey was runny, so not granulated.

Latest posts

Back