Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quacking Ducks

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi, I’m a newish bee keeper here. I’ve done bee keeping for 2 summers and 1 winter and helped my brother with the hive for a few years before that, unfortunately I lost my hive this last Aug from wax moths, ants, small hive beetles and the heat of Aug and varroa mites, but I did learn a lot and will start again in the spring. I’m hoping to catch a swarm.

I also enjoy keeping ducks and chickens, some gardening and herbs. I play harp and a little piano.

Last edited:
Hi, I’m a newish bee keeper here. I’ve done bee keeping for 2 summers and 1 winter and helped my brother with the hive for a few years before that, unfortunately I lost my hive this last Aug from wax moths, ants, small hive beetles and the heat of Aug, but I did learn a lot and will start again in the spring. I’m hoping to catch a swarm.

I also enjoy keeping ducks and chickens, some gardening and herbs. I play harp and a little piano.
Hi and welcome sorry to hear you lost your hive in august could it of been varroa related,august is a month where varroa levels are probably at there highest,what was your varroa treatment winter 2022 and spring 2023 how were you assessing mite counts ?

I’m also a keen gardener and we have almost 50 peking hens plus I play the guitar of a fashion 😁.

Hi, I’m a newish bee keeper here. I’ve done bee keeping for 2 summers and 1 winter and helped my brother with the hive for a few years before that, unfortunately I lost my hive this last Aug from wax moths, ants, small hive beetles and the heat of Aug and varroa mites, but I did learn a lot and will start again in the spring. I’m hoping to catch a swarm.

How plentiful are swarms in the kansas area? Are they wild bees or from neighbouring kept colonies? oh and :welcome:

Hi and welcome sorry to hear you lost your hive in august could it of been varroa related,august is a month where varroa levels are probably at there highest,what was your varroa treatment winter 2022 and spring 2023 how were you assessing mite counts ?

I’m also a keen gardener and we have almost 50 peking hens plus I play the guitar of a fashion 😁.
Yes, I did also have the varroa mites( I forgot about them they were a big part of it). In the fall of 2022 I tried an Oxalic acid 12v vaporizer with wood beach but I could never get it to vaporize. Right before I lost the hive in August I found a recipe that I’m going to try this year. It has coconut oil, thyme oil, and peppermint oil. It did help a little last year but the hive was too far gone for it to work

I have 8 ducks and 15 chickens and I also hatch and sell ducklings and chicks

Welcome to the forum, it's nice to see another member from the states. Are you going to the Expo in Kentucky? Looks like it's going to be a great event.

How plentiful are swarms in the kansas area? Are they wild bees or from neighbouring kept colonies? oh and :welcome:
I don’t know about wild swarms but there should be some neighboring colonies in swarms season

Welcome to the forum, it's nice to see another member from the states. Are you going to the Expo in Kentucky? Looks like it's going to be a great event.
Thank you. No, I like Kansas 😊

Hey Quacking Ducks.
Welcome to the Forum.
Yes : I do Birds and the Bees.
OK, to much information ! 🤭
Seriously, I mean I too have Chickens (Rare Breed) Runner Ducks and an ever expanding number of different Hives.
Started on your US Langstroth (got some experience on them.) Then went more 'regular' on the UK National Hive. Popular here in Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 (Boy its Sub Zero today. . . Absolutely Freezing! 🥶)
Oops went off topic.
And then got into the Tall Skinny Stacked French "Warre Hives."
What Beeks have to do to keep out of mischief.
Hope your not Freezing up in Kansas. Read somewhere Mid West goes something like -20C + extra -20C Windchill Factor.
Guess that's a balmy -40F ! Blimey.
My Folks in K.W complain went its 5OF on the back Porch. What !?

Hope Bees become good again sometime soon. Both mine and me are all snuggled up. . . Cosy !
a) in a Hive. And
b) Under a Heated Throw. 😎

I play harp and a little piano
fb.png

My father's cousin, the late Ryan Davies was an accomplished harpist (as well as pianist, singer and comedian) here he is playing a (funnily enough) little harp some years ago (the song is Madoc sailing to discover America.
It would have been his birthday today - he died of heart failure during a severe asthma attack whilst visiting friends in Buffalo New York

It's mostly in Welsh but there is a bit of English in the middle

Welcome Quacking Ducks - that’s a great handle!
I’m told I’m always harping on about bees, but that’s as close to being musical as I get.
I bet you’ll never forget about varroa again. The lessons we learn the hard way stay with us for life👍

lost my hive this last Aug from wax moths
Most common reason: a queenless, weak or diseased colony. If they had swarmed and the virgin failed to return, the colony would be in decline & disarray, and so vulnerable.

heat of Aug
Wax moth multiply fastest at 85-90F (30-32C). On the other hand, heat won't really bother a strong colony because it would have the workforce to thermoregulate effectively.

Best of luck for your second go, QD; keep on top of varroa, SHB, ants and above all, keep your colonies strong.

Most common reason: a queenless, weak or diseased colony. If they had swarmed and the virgin failed to return, the colony would be in decline & disarray, and so vulnerable.

Wax moth multiply fastest at 85-90F (30-32C). On the other hand, heat won't really bother a strong colony because it would have the workforce to thermoregulate effectively.

Best of luck for your second go, QD; keep on top of varroa, SHB, ants and above all, keep your colonies strong.
Thanks, I just put out my swarm trap on Friday

Attachments

• IMG_0220.jpeg
    IMG_0220.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0221.jpeg
    IMG_0221.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back