Show us your cappings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a lovely looking frame.

That's Dervla's girls. Her brood nest was superb, like a bullseye, with capped arcs below as well. It took three broods to rehouse her :)

This is mine

Attachments

• 20FFED8E-E0F6-4540-952F-6BC927EF0F90.jpeg
    20FFED8E-E0F6-4540-952F-6BC927EF0F90.jpeg
    291.9 KB · Views: 147
Uncapping a few weeks ago, first honey, second year.

Lovely.

The fresh wax on newly drawn frames always looks beautiful - they never seem to make such a neat job on subsequent use.

The wax builders were having a great time yesterday, I've never seen so many bees with wax scales on their bellies.

Br. Adam always did admire the the whiteness of the cappings from Amm's.
But his Buckfast legacy aren't that far behind.

whitecappings.jpg

I have a great weakness for honey snadwiches and this thread is NOT HELPING.

:icon_204-2:

Br. Adam always did admire the the whiteness of the cappings from Amm's.

If your customers value white capping and you're selling honey in the comb, it's a good marketing feature. However, if you're extracting and selling honey in the jar, it has no real value.

If your customers value white capping and you're selling honey in the comb, it's a good marketing feature.

I sell a lot of comb honey and it is a good selling point. No-one will buy dirty looking comb honey. Worth remembering when Br. Adam first set out into beekeeping, comb honey was much more popular than it is today.
Having also kept Amm's I know the "persil" whiteness of their capping are indeed superior to those from Buckfast bees, but not by much.
If I was into competitive beekeeping I would buy Amm queens for comb honey production alone. I'd probably win every local show and have a gazillion rosettes to exhibit on my wall.

Last edited:
I do a little bomb honey but it’s gate sales and doesn’t always look as if it came from a posh shop. Some of the cappings are wet. I have customers who ask for it with pollen so I always do a few.
How much do you charge for yours bf?

I'm cheap..ask for £6 for a plastic tub in a posh paper box between 6-9 oz in weight.
Customer taste within the area is paramount. In one area I'll sell over a dozen almost every time I go to market there, in others areas if I sell one it's a moral victory.

I'm doing 8 supers like this today

Attachments

• DSC_0532.jpg
    DSC_0532.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 84
Quite pleased with these for a first attempt!
c097af1d068c194e9ef33d5652a56da9.jpg

Latest posts

Back