sealing feeders

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

islayhawk

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Read on various forums of people using normal gloss paint to seal the inside of feeders. Also that it should be left to dry before use. My question is :- how long should it be left to dry. Being a signpainter I know that paint can take weeks to 'dry'. How long do most people who use gloss leave it before filling the feeder

Read on various forums of people using normal gloss paint to seal the inside of feeders. Also that it should be left to dry before use. My question is :- how long should it be left to dry. Being a signpainter I know that paint can take weeks to 'dry'. How long do most people who use gloss leave it before filling the feeder

You could paint it and then leave it over winter to dry and stop smelling, if you use a paint with high odour. Or you could coat it in wax instead.

I use masonry paint and leave for a week..

Hi all.
I built my ashworths feeders from 12 mm marine ply and wasn't sure if I needed to seal them.
Eventually I sealed them with vegtable oil ( it said it was rape on the bottle )
After I had tried it on a spare piece of ply, I gave them three coats of oil, waiting a day inbetween each one so they could dry.
I gave them a quick rinse before use, but even then I saw a little bit of an oil film on top of the syrup when I poured it in.
It didn't seem to deter or harm the bees in any way, they took it all and even cleaned it all up. I've left a space in the divider so they can get in to the main body of the feeder.

Wes

Use glue, or something else, but if you're not sure, stand them with water in for a while so if t are any small gaps, the wood can swell to seal them. Better that than leak sugar syrup.

Told that by my mentor, but I generally don't feed sugar syrup to my bees.

We use 3 coats of gloss paint inside poly feeders. Usually, I paint them in the hottest weather in July and use them for syrup the following year.

Do not use PVA glue - it will become soft and peel if used for 2:1 syrup, then the poly will go mouldy inside.

Back