Re Keeping bees indoors

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mothman

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Keeping bee hives indoors seems like a good idea, I wonder at the practicalities. What method of swarm control is used? what happens to the bees that escape inside the shed? is there a bee escape next to the window?

Keeping bee hives indoors seems like a good idea, I wonder at the practicalities. What method of swarm control is used? what happens to the bees that escape inside the shed? is there a bee escape next to the window?

Indoors is missleading. Hives can fly out when ever, and they do not fly indoors.

I kept a hive in a shed last year, worked surprisingly well.

Entrance butted up to external appeture. And window with a 4 inch gap at the top.

During inspections all field bees would fly towards the daylight and out the open window, returning via the entrance, so inspections were nice and easy.

During inspections all field bees would fly towards the daylight and out the open window,
I assumed they might but nice to know for sure. Some of mine used to go in and out of my campervan for some reason..

For balance, I should mention the negatives:

Smoker in an enclosed space... Cough!
Inspection in a dim room is slightly more difficult.

But I would recommend a bee shed setup for the inconspicuous nature - definatley for allotment setups.

My wife used to keep sheep in our bedroom. The smell was unbearable but, I couldn't open the windows in case my pigeons got out!

I've kept hives in an open hayshed (Barn) where they were just sheltered from the rain. Great comfort in the last couple of years to be able to arrive whatever the weather and do whatever work needed doing.

I've kept hives in an open hayshed (Barn) where they were just sheltered from the rain. Great comfort in the last couple of years to be able to arrive whatever the weather and do whatever work needed doing.

This kind of setup makes a lot more sense to me.

I worked 50 or so hives inside a 40ft container, was not a good experience. Never again. Poor lighting confused bees lack of space and smoke just was not best mixture.

We had here beehouses over 50 years ago, but no one has them no.
Extremely expencive per hive and affull to work in dark and in smoking air.

Type in google picture search: pčelarski kontejner. Most of beekeepers here are moving bees this way from forage to forage ( some goes 4-6 forages per season).

Bee houses

I have a great little book found in waterstones about historical beekeeping, details all different kinds of bee boles and beehouses. I guess when big estates went downhill, they stopped spending money on things like beehouses, some of the pictures are extremely elaborate and decorative. Theres a great piece about a large house in edinburgh (i think) which has openings built into the front of the house on the second storey for bees to fly from, where they were kept indoors.

Latest posts

Back