Rats

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think it's time this thread was moved as it now has nothing to do with bee keeping?
S

Pest control and rats in particular are at the heart of winter beekeeping jobs.

Pest control and rats in particular are at the heart of winter beekeeping jobs.

They may be with you, I have more important winter beekeeping jobs to do!
The original post was about warning beeks to look out for rats and 'pests' but the thread has degraded into talking about who has the biggest or smallest gun and how to shoot anything other than the 'pests' originally discussed.
S

They may be with you, I have more important winter beekeeping jobs to do!
The original post was about warning beeks to look out for rats and 'pests' but the thread has degraded into talking about who has the biggest or smallest gun and how to shoot anything other than the 'pests' originally discussed.
S

In a less PC world we could shoot hive thieves.

Yesterday I finished moving out of the garage the last of the poly nucs and one in the middle was seriously heavy. When I dropped it to the ground, deliberately I might add, out shot the rat. The weight was due to the most of the space being packed with peanuts!

I still have my traps set though. Little so and so's.

PH

Yesterday I finished moving out of the garage the last of the poly nucs and one in the middle was seriously heavy. When I dropped it to the ground, deliberately I might add, out shot the rat. The weight was due to the most of the space being packed with peanuts!

I still have my traps set though. Little so and so's.

PH
How are they gaining access into the garage, if it has doors on they must be a hole or a gap where you can directly place a fenn Mk4 so they have to stand on it to get in there.

How are they gaining access into the garage, if it has doors on they must be a hole or a gap where you can directly place a fenn Mk4 so they have to stand on it to get in there.

Rats can easily get through the spaces round most up'nover garage doors..

Or if left open as some do...

Rats can easily get through the spaces round most up'nover garage doors..

Or if left open as some do...
Rats can get just about anywhere, i was smoking a rat set many moons ago for the terriers, three rats bolted out of a sneaky hole and crawled 5ft up a breeze block wall and into a hole, if there is a hole or a space for the to squeeze through they are on borrowed time if i have anything to do with it.. lol.

These traps are also lethal if set properly .

https://www.fourteenacre.co.uk/shop/001bmi-bodygrip-55-spring-trap/

Last edited:
Rats can get just about anywhere, i was smoking a rat set many moons ago for the terriers, three rats bolted out of a sneaky hole and crawled 5ft up a breeze block wall and into a hole, if there is a hole or a space for the to squeeze through they are on borrowed time if i have anything to do with it.. lol.

These traps are also lethal if set properly .

https://www.fourteenacre.co.uk/shop/001bmi-bodygrip-55-spring-trap/

I use a seesaw trap like that for grey squirrels . Very effective.

maybe we should just beat them to death with a piece of tofu - that will keep all the handwringers happy - us not discussing firearms and the like :D

There is a FB page for battery hen rescue, and they have banned any mention of lethal pest control (be it fluffy foxy loxy or the scaly rat) they are also not allowed to mention wringing a sick chicken's neck!!!!

maybe we should just beat them to death with a piece of tofu - that will keep all the handwringers happy - us not discussing firearms and the like :D

There is a FB page for battery hen rescue, and they have banned any mention of lethal pest control (be it fluffy foxy loxy or the scaly rat) they are also not allowed to mention wringing a sick chicken's neck!!!!

Tosh and you know it! I knew I would be attacked as soon as I suggested the posts should be moved, I also knew that the same old bullies would be at the forefront.
I don't think anyone on this forum has a problem with the Neanderthals who still think its okay to shoot and hunt but there is a separate section for it which the sane members of this forum can avoid and talk about bees.
S

Tosh and you know it! I knew I would be attacked as soon as I suggested the posts should be moved
Your arrogance tells by your assumption that my post was aimed at you.
and your statement makes it obvious that it was a feeble attempt at trolling in the first place in the hope of getting a reaction.

Need to set a trap myself, spotted one in the Garden, digging up my Bloody spring Bulbs planted recently. Goddamit .
No one gets in the way of my spring Blossoms ! Not something you would hear in a UFC bout but you get my drift ! :)

Need to set a trap myself, spotted one in the Garden, digging up my Bloody spring Bulbs planted recently. Goddamit .
No one gets in the way of my spring Blossoms ! Not something you would hear in a UFC bout but you get my drift ! :)
:laughing-smiley-004 i know exactly where you are coming from, i bought an additional 1500 bulbs last year, i think it was around May and the grass needed cutting which resulted in a tuft of grass around every patch of Crocus on the lawn, hundreds of them, my lady friend was forbidden to cut the the leaves of the Crocus till they had died back, the moles also get a good hiding in the flower beds where loads of other bulbs get planted.

I would welcome any non p c beekeeper to help me get rid of the rats in my loft

I favour the blue rat food rather than the red for the hard to reach places

Ah well at least no sign of them in the bee sheds at the moment

I would welcome any non p c beekeeper to help me get rid of the rats in my loft

I favour the blue rat food rather than the red for the hard to reach places

Ah well at least no sign of them in the bee sheds at the moment

The key to it is to find where the little buggers are getting in ... I discovered that they had chewed through a plastic air brick that was hidden behind a water butt ... once they are in the cavity they are up in the loft in no time.

Not all holes are low level - they are excellent climbers - they went up a Virginia creeper into the loft after I blocked the low level hole and through a hole in the soffit ! All sorted now ... at last.

Block the entrance they are using with something they can't chew through then trap them. The beggars will chew anything they fancy - including wiring, plastic water pipes, anything stored there .... bloody nuisance.

I'm not a rat expert ... Millets your man ... but I've learned fast and the thing to look for in the loft is the trails ... above or below insulation - a well placed trap will get them if you put it in the 'trail' and hide it with a bit of insulation if they are on top or make a tunnel of it if they are below it. No need for baiting the traps if my experience is anything to go by.

Latest posts

Back