Rats

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can pick a shotgun up today for around £50 , it might be a battered old side by side but it will work just fine, you can also pick a Fac rifle up for around £150 , if you are looking for a good Air rifle you are looking at around £800, mad but true, the only reason i would ever use a Bow for hunting would be if i was stuck on a desert island and the bow was my only weapon, i would rather snare a animal than use a bow and i can not stand snares, especially after taking my Dog out of a fox snare two years ago.

You can pick a shotgun up today for around £50 , it might be a battered old side by side but it will work just fine, you can also pick a Fac rifle up for around £150 , if you are looking for a good Air rifle you are looking at around £800, mad but true, the only reason i would ever use a Bow for hunting would be if i was stuck on a desert island and the bow was my only weapon, i would rather snare a animal than use a bow and i can not stand snares, especially after taking my Dog out of a fox snare two years ago.

guns they have got a lot cheaper than when when I thought about taking it up after some very successful days clay shooting with a friend around the turn of the century. We took up archery as something more challenging (boy we underestimate how much more)
And to cap it all when I researched bow hunting this in 2003 I thought it was a 1954 act now it appear to be a 1965 act. Either the internet has changed its mind or my memory is slipping

Last edited:
guns they have got a lot cheaper than when when I thought about taking it up after some very successful days clay shooting with a friend around the turn of the century. We took up archery as something more challenging (boy we underestimate how much more)
And to cap it all when I researched bow hunting this in 2003 I thought it was a 1954 act now it appear to be a 1965 act. Either the internet has changed its mind or my memory is slipping
I used to shoot for my clay gun club in the league matches but i become sick of all the moaning and cheating after two years, i much preferred being sat in a hide decoying wood pigeons for several friendly farmers over newly drilled wheat and barley fields, with the right cartridges nothing is safe as the shock effect of being hit by several bits of shot is enough to drop anything, a farmer can shoot deer with them also to protect his crops using big AAA 42grm cartridges but they only have around 13 shot in each cartridge, my choice of cartridge would be BB's 42grm.

Just facilitated the transfer of a job lot of decent Spanish shotguns. None particularly well worn or battered. Kept the best as a foxing piece for me. Apart from the odd scratch on the stock it looks nearly new. Paid twenty quid for it and sold on my present knockabout for the same price

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

I used to shoot for my clay gun club in the league matches but i become sick of all the moaning and cheating after two years, i much preferred being sat in a hide decoying wood pigeons for several friendly farmers over newly drilled wheat and barley fields, with the right cartridges nothing is safe as the shock effect of being hit by several bits of shot is enough to drop anything, a farmer can shoot deer with them also to protect his crops using big AAA 42grm cartridges but they only have around 13 shot in each cartridge, my choice of cartridge would be BB's 42grm.

I gave up the archery cos I couldnt stand the constant chit chat at competitions or at our alternate club when I trying to shoot. skill at archery is inside your head and i couldnt filter it all out and let the arrow fly where they ought to go. in the garden or at our more civilised local club it was fine.
Hunting with a bow where it is just you, the prey and silence appealed, but unobtainable.

Quite popular with some prolific posters on beesource, I seem to remember a lovely pic of a blood smeared beekeeper with a bow shot 14 point stag, Lauri iirc

Just facilitated the transfer of a job lot of decent Spanish shotguns. None particularly well worn or battered. Kept the best as a foxing piece for me. Apart from the odd scratch on the stock it looks nearly new. Paid twenty quid for it and sold on my present knockabout for the same price

Bloody hell ... £20 for a usable shotgun ? Thank goodness we have some very strict and difficult to obtain firearms licensing laws or every kid on the street would have one !!

Bloody hell ... £20 for a usable shotgun ? Thank goodness we have some very strict and difficult to obtain firearms licensing laws or every kid on the street would have one !!

Instead the criminal element have pistols and rifles, unfettered by the need for approval. :(

I gave up the archery cos I couldnt stand the constant chit chat at competitions or at our alternate club when I trying to shoot. skill at archery is inside your head and i couldnt filter it all out and let the arrow fly where they ought to go. in the garden or at our more civilised local club it was fine.
Hunting with a bow where it is just you, the prey and silence appealed, but unobtainable.

You could try a crossbow. Some real killing machines on sale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmB-2I3byhw

There is no shortage of shotguns in that price range.
Watch what you buy though, all seems good when dry fired. you here that click and then click from the second pin, all is good , then you take it into the field on your permission Pull the trigger and both barrels go of together, dear lord does that hurt. haha.

It is even worse when you load the shot gun and close the barrel for both to go of again without touching the trigger, the AYA Yoeman was a good one all the same.

Last edited:
Got one of those, bought in brand new several years ago.

Also have one of these...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattern_1861_Enfield_musketoon

I got a Beretta Silver ll brand new many moons ago when they first came on the market , she sure was a mean point able bit of machined metal and i leathered some game with that 1/4 ad 1/2 was my preferred choke as the barrel was tight anyway.
I do like Them old one though but i would be 50/50 weather i dare pull the trigger.. lol

Got one of those, bought in brand new several years ago.

Also have one of these...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattern_1861_Enfield_musketoon
A lot of those were converted to breech loading using Snider breeches and went out to Afghanistan the first (or was it the second) time we got a pasting. We came across quite a few coming back as souvenirs during the current trouncing. Although they scrape through exemption via the obsolete ammunition route. An American company is now making ammunition for them!!

I got a Beretta Silver ll brand new many moons ago when they first came on the market , she sure was a mean point able bit of machined metal and i leathered some game with that 1/4 ad 1/2 was my preferred choke as the barrel was tight anyway.
I do like Them old one though but i would be 50/50 weather i dare pull the trigger.. lol
I have one of the first Westley Richards Anson and Deeley (boxlock) actions produced - 1881 ish. It's a lovely little piece in 16 bore. A Thomas Wilde 12 bore magnum hammer goose gun and two early 1920s BSA shotguns. All get fairly regular use. One of the BSAS is happy enough taking a heavy load for foxing having twice dropped a fox stone dead at a measured 70 yards plus through the full choked barrel.
I have one or two post war Spanish knockabouts too [emoji1]

Latest posts

Back