raising queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

islayhawk

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Was looking to rearing Queens by using an apidea. However my plan was to use the apidea Queen laying grid then create a nuc and place the new larvae in a Queen rearing frame in the nuc.
How long should I leave the nuc Queenless before putting in the new larvae and also how many cells should I put on the rearing frame.

Queen rearing new territory for me.

I would leave your nuc queenless for >2 hr I leave mine up to 24 hr. It's best if the nuc doesn't have any eggs/young larvae it can use to raise it's own queen cells! You'll get a better take. The number of queen's you can successfully rear from a nuc will depend on the size of the box and it's strength.

This years 2nd batch of mini nucs just made up with QC's from grafts.
mating nucs just filled.jpg

4 days in the cool garage with x2 daily water spray
mating nucs garage for 4 days.jpg

Out to the mating sites- a couple in my garden
mating nuc garden 1.jpg
mating nuc garden 2.jpg

No such thing as an Apidea laying grid. Presume you mean Jenter or cupkit? How many queens do you want/need as the above is normally used to produce quite a few

I put breeder queen in cupkit queen box for a couple of days, use well populated queenless starter to get two frames each with 2 bars of 10 cells started (ie total 40 cells) and after a day or so transfer single bars of 10 cells into each of 4 Demaree tops (above queen right colonies) to get them finished (Alternativelhy I use a strong colony and cloake board to start and finish the cells) do the whole thing.When cels about 2 days before emergence I put them into Apideas each stocked with 300 mls of young bees about an hour beforehand to get them mated. Assume about 50% final success ie I expect to get 20 or more properly mated queens out of it. When I find sealed brood I introduce the queens to colonies to replace unsatisfactory queens. Meanwhile I am producing the next batch so that I have another set of Q cells to put into those apideas. Timing is everything.

If you are new to queen rearing I suggest you start with Miller frame method or Demaree.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back