Refractometer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philipm

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
I,m thinking of buying a refractometer this year,been without one for years but always a worry if the water content is right. What do others on the forum recommend?

Just buy a cheap Chinese one intended for honey off the internet and don't fiddle with the settings when it arrives. See what the reading is with some olive oil and keep some of that bottle of oil in a sealed container. Make a note of the reading. That is what you use to check the readings are right in years to come.

Just buy a cheap Chinese one intended for honey off the internet and don't fiddle with the settings when it arrives. See what the reading is with some olive oil and keep some of that bottle of oil in a sealed container. Make a note of the reading. That is what you use to check the readings are right in years to come.
Absolutely and yes do make sure it's for honey not beer making. My hubby was trying to be kind and selected the wrong one. Bless. Maybe if I get into home brewing/ mead production I can use it but currently not enough hours in the day.

I,m thinking of buying a refractometer this year,been without one for years but always a worry if the water content is right. What do others on the forum recommend?
Get it, dirt cheap on ebay, you can check calibration with olive oil

Extra-Virgin Olive Oil, one drop of it on the slide will always read between 71 and 72 on the Brix scale. If you set the lock-nut to show any such oil at 71.5, you will have correctly calibrated the water content scale at the same time.

Mine arrived today and looks good. Calibrated it with olive oil as advised then measured some honey from a jar bought at a farmers market recently and it was just below 20% water...
I don't yet know what the other scales are for?
K ;)

Mine arrived today and looks good. Calibrated it with olive oil as advised then measured some honey from a jar bought at a farmers market recently and it was just below 20% water...
I don't yet know what the other scales are for?
K ;)
Did it come with any oil for calibration?

Yes although I used olive oil anyway...
K 🤷‍♂️
Most of the time, they are ready to use straight out of the box without calibration. I had one dodgy refractometer that showed different readings with different calibration fluids.
Expensive calibration oil showing a brix of 60 and liquid paraffin showing 24.5 water content has matched up with 2 of my other refractometers.

Back