What to do with capped honey > 20% water?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sutty

From Glossop, North Derbyshire, UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 to 12!
I extracted a few boxes today, including a couple of heather (pita!).
The outside uncapped frames of a couple of boxes were 22-23% water, so not extracted yet. But then I checked the capped frames - over 20%!
What can I do with them? I think they are heather too.
Refractometer showed 27% with olive oil.

Well. Heather is usually over 20%. Stand honey in a small room with a dehumidifier for a couple of days then retest, works more quickly when honey is in a bucket, lid off.
Thanks - I did wonder if it was just because it was heather!
Currently the 2 supers are back on the hives cos I'll be away for 3 weeks. I'll do something with them when I get back!

Thanks - I did wonder if it was just because it was heather!
Currently the 2 supers are back on the hives cos I'll be away for 3 weeks. I'll do something with them when I get back!
If nothing else use it as winter feed. Either leave them with it or spin it off and feed it back to them. Might be worth testing with another refractometer

I had some on the high side.
I successfully dried it by trickling it very slowly from open setting tanks into another set of settling tanks with a dehumidifier running.
The surface was visibly drying so periodic stirring helped too.Took around four days but shed just under 2%

Last edited:
The limit for Heather honey is 23% (as per the honey regulations), so if its Heather honey- all good 😊
but that only applies to pure heather honey, not if it's a blend, but regardless, it will still ferment if over 20% - quicker, I've found than ordinary honey

• Wow
Reactions: Kaz
If pure heather it's not a problem as has already been said.
It could be used to make mead, if you are so inclined, or know anyone who is.

I find it can separate in the bucket and ruin the 16 percent lot too
I’ve never had that problem. 1/2 bucket of 20% with a 1/2 bucket of 16% slowly mixed with a drill and left to settle for a few days always gives me a bucket of around 18%.

Latest posts

Back