Radio 4, 11.00 am today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really enjoyed it; thanks for the link.

They certainly do things Large over in the U S of A

I was interested in the experiments where innoculating bees with viruses resulted in the exact symptoms of CCD.

I was also pleased to hear honey farmers caring about their bees and enjoying their lives with bees. Obviously they need to make money, and the economics are driven by big agriculture, but it isn't all about the money - even mega bee farmers have a love for their bees bee-smillie

there is a covering page on it as well with a bit more info:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21741651

Like the previous poster stated interesting article!

Quote from the article
Also, to increase numbers, hives are split into two, mimicking the natural swarming process, in a procedure that has become known as "nuking the hive". The industrial nature of this is clear when you consider John Miller's "nuking machine", an industrial "line" of his own design that can split 200 hives an hour.
Since the actual splitting process wasn't mentioned in detail, I went looking for this fabled "machine" ...
... and I found it pictured here http://www.millerhoneyfarms.com/Photos/Pages/Nucing.html
Just a manual production line ...
And the mis-spelling would seem to come from Dr Hart...

The thing that strikes me is the number of stray (lost?) bees on and under his marquee, and the amount of bearding on the front of boxes.

My mind is boggled.

Quote from the article
Since the actual splitting process wasn't mentioned in detail, I went looking for this fabled "machine" ...
... and I found it pictured here http://www.millerhoneyfarms.com/Photos/Pages/Nucing.html
Just a manual production line ...
And the mis-spelling would seem to come from Dr Hart...

The thing that strikes me is the number of stray (lost?) bees on and under his marquee, and the amount of bearding on the front of boxes.

My mind is boggled.

Thanks, excellent link. I can't say I'm impressed by the process- all those lost and confused bees. AS works with the bees instincts, this seems to completely ignore them, moving bees around within the yard and stacking them together.

If you were trying to find a way to spread pathogens throughout your stock while stressing them, this would seem as good a way as any.

The conclusion seemed to be that most of the problems are down to the way pollination is carried out, so they'll just have to keep coming up with sticking-plaster fixes to keep it going.

I wonder how long before it occurs to someone that there may be a better way of doing it? eg re-intoducing natural weeds/wildflowers as ground cover beneath the trees so that the area can support either natural pollinators, or a longer term honeybee population? .

I think they are beginning to realise this - they did mention an idea of planting more diverse crops to 'rest the bees after the monoculture pollination blitzes
Had a listen today, it was fairly balanced but a bit 'low calorie' typical of the Beeb really, one interesting thing though when discussing a newly collapsed colony the beekeper made sure we were aware that no pesticides were used in the area so in his opinion was not a factor in CCD (that wouldn't suit some on here!!) they were convinced it was some virus.
It was also recognized that constant migration could be a factor in CCD, as was the fact that vast monoculture priaries with little nectar income had an effect. Maybe they're starting to wake up?

Glad you enjoyed the programme. By the way, nuking is not a misspelling and 'the nuking machine' is not journalistic excess. Nuking, not nucing, is the spelling most commonly used in the USA. 'Nuking machine' is a direct quotation from John Miller himself in the the book The Beekeeper's Lament (page 175) by Hannah Nordhaus. It's the most recent account of migratory beekeeping and well worth a read.
We recorded a lot of interviews on this trip and the material will be expanded into two extra programmes for the world service Discovery strand - much more science and beekeeping will go into these including much more of Randy Oliver (who is a fantastic guy). Hopefully you will find these less low calorie...I'll post on here to let you know when they are out

Last edited:
Glad you enjoyed the programme. The nuking machine is not a misspelling or journalistic excess by the way - it's a direct quote from John Miller himself in the the book The Beekeeper's Lament (page 175) by Hannah Nordhaus, It's well worth a read.

Welcome to the forum, Adam!

Congratulations on a programme that interested and engaged quite a lot of people that know something about bees.
I hope it has been as well-received by the general audience.

As you'll see from John Miller's website, he (or his company) spells 'nuc' the same way British beekeepers do.
So, it looks like we put the infelicitous spelling down to Ms Nordhaus's transcription of her interviews, and accept her excuse in advance
A historian by training, she has conducted extensive oral histories with employees of the U.S. House of Representatives in Washington D.C., with Cold-War era citizens of Roswell, New Mexico, and with federal judges and nuclear-plant workers in Colorado.
http://www.hannahnordhaus.com/about/

We recorded a lot of interviews on this trip and the material will be expanded into two extra programmes for the world service Discovery strand - much more science and beekeeping will go into these including much more of Randy Oliver (who is a fantastic guy). Hopefully you will find these less low calorie...I'll post on here to let you know when they are out
That is great news!
World Service is much more audible on DAB and DTV. I used to put up with 648, and have listned on short wave on other continents...

The only problem is noticing what they have - so a "heads up" would be a great help, thanks!

Last edited:
...also, nucing would be pronounced 'nusing' by most non beekeepers!

Last edited:
...also, nucing would be pronounced 'nusing' by most non beekeepers!

No question, phonetically it makes sense! :)

But actually, over here we don't follow the US love of making a verb out of any old noun.
And what we would call "a split" or "making up a nuc" is a pretty non-controversial aspect of beekeeping ("making increase" - growing more colonies) --- though we do tend to take more time (and trouble) than John Miller's "bee guys".

Glad you enjoyed the programme.

:eek: He's in the room! - didn't say anything too bad about him did I :blush5::D Welcome to the forum Adam enjoyed the programme but I'll have to listen again as I was on radio watch when I listened first (shipping and law enforcement not entertainment)
Stick around this forum and you'll probably get enough material to make another programme which will equal...........................the Goon show? :biggrinjester:
Nuking machine' is a direct quotation from John Miller himself in the the book The Beekeeper's Lament (page 175) by Hannah Nordhaus. It's the most recent account of migratory beekeeping and well worth a read.
:iagree: Read it last year - a real eye opener,At first I thought it would be a slightlyc apologistic account with everything being blamed on anyone but the industry but it was interesting to see John himself questioning the wisdom of carrying on as they had in the past. I'd recomment it to anyone.

Agreed (with Itma) but in the USA making up a nuc is referred to as nuking...hence using the term in the programme. Also, whilst making up a nuc is standard enough, doing so with 3 or 4 hives is a very different prospect to dealing with tens of thousands, and the techniques and scale of these enterprises are 'controversial'. The tenor of the comments in this forum are testament to that! To really make the point of scale - one beekeeper in California is said to have lost 40,000 hives in a couple of weeks to ccd back in 2006. He's still going - last year he was running 80,000 hives. Profitably, but very much with bees as 'livestock'...

Last edited:
... whilst making up a nuc is standard enough, doing so with 3 or 4 hives is a very different prospect to dealing with tens of thousands, and the techniques and scale of these enterprises are 'controversial'. ...

Absolutely.
I've referred to it as "battery bee-farming". Not literally accurate, but a useful shorthand.

Agreed (with Itma) but in the USA making up a nuc is referred to as nuking...hence using the term in the programme. Also, whilst making up a nuc is standard enough, doing so with 3 or 4 hives is a very different prospect to dealing with tens of thousands, and the techniques and scale of these enterprises are 'controversial'. The tenor of the comments in this forum are testament to that! To really make the point of scale - one beekeeper in California is said to have lost 40,000 hives in a couple of weeks to ccd back in 2006. He's still going - last year he was running 80,000 hives. Profitably, but very much with bees as 'livestock'...

So, the US thinks North Korea is going to send them a small package of bees...?
:eek:

Adam
Great to have you here. Looking forward to next broadcast. Do you have footage of nuking? Be interesting to see it properly. We just have to face it - there are differences when it's big business. Just as there are with any animal that goes from pet/hobby status to a money making business.

Let us know in good time so we don't miss them.

Latest posts

Back