Radio 4, 11.00 am today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyhook

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Programme coning up on american migratory beekeeping- sounds quite informative.

Happy listening.

Well worth a listen, especially if you don't know about US migratory beekeeping.
Interviews with Randy Oliver (scientificbeekeeping.com), etc.

Repeated Thursday evening.
And it is on iPlayer.

13,000 hives is a medium-sized beekeeper ...

// I'm sure they have those that are scornful of mere 3 (thousand) hive owners and their silly ideas!

Getting through 1,200 to 1,500 queens per year per thousand hives ain't exactly good husbandry.
Also a bit surprised at the idea of 20% failures to overwinter (in Florida) for splits having been given a new queen.

The bees are simply a 'consumable' in a profitable industry.

The lessons to be learned are about pitfalls to avoid, not practices to emulate.

Getting through 1,200 to 1,500 queens per year per thousand hives ain't exactly good husbandry.
It's beekeeping Jim, but not as we know it. 10,000 miles travelling in a year?

Educational certainly. Trying to introduce a bit of journalistic sensationalism about 'nuking' was unfortunate and clunky. I hesitate to mention pesticides but what I thought was an interesting point was the changing attitude; the Florida beekeeper who used to have "process" citrus orchards available (I guess for juicing/pulp) that were not sprayed but now migrates to California to avoid them. Contrast with the recognition by some almond growers that saturation spraying isn't a long term strategy. What appeared to be a quick chemical fix is being backed away from, yet other previously pesticide free areas are way back on the learning curve and still ramping up the usage.

I was in the car when this was on and didnt get the bit about using more than one queen a year?

why would you replace a new queen within the year?

Wouldnt this just set the hive back?

Confused as normal....

I was in the car when this was on and didnt get the bit about using more than one queen a year?

why would you replace a new queen within the year?

Wouldnt this just set the hive back?

Confused as normal....

I still haven't heard it all, but I think it was down to queens failing, rather than choice. I understand that some pesticides can damage sperm both in the drone and in the spermatheca, so may be to do with that.

Also a bit surprised at the idea of 20% failures to overwinter (in Florida) for splits having been given a new queen.

The bees are simply a 'consumable' in a profitable industry.

The lessons to be learned are about pitfalls to avoid, not practices to emulate.

Horses for courses though isn't it, they do produce ridiculous quantities of almonds.

Horses for courses though isn't it, they do produce ridiculous quantities of almonds.

Don't they move them around all year - onto blueberries and cranberries as well, for example?

Don't they move them around all year - onto blueberries and cranberries as well, for example?

Ridiculous quantities of blueberries and cranberries, apples, melons, plums etc too I imagine.
Almonds would be the biggest tax on queens though as they initiate brood rearing so early in order to be up to strength for its pollination.

Just listened to it online. I thought it was very good.

I hadn't realised the sheer scale of the almond growing area. I think they said it was 750,000 acres (about 1,000 square miles). According to Wikipedia, the whole of UK is 94,060 sq miles.

Good radio programme to listen to on my lunch break.

:winner1st:

The conclusion seemed to be that most of the problems are down to the way pollination is carried out, so they'll just have to keep coming up with sticking-plaster fixes to keep it going.

I wonder how long before it occurs to someone that there may be a better way of doing it? eg re-intoducing natural weeds/wildflowers as ground cover beneath the trees so that the area can support either natural pollinators, or a longer term honeybee population? At $200/hive, there must be an incentive for the growers to look for alternatives, in spite of the pressures of capitalism.

If you're in a motor race, and your engine is rattling, your best strategy may be to slow down.

Latest posts

Back