Pumpkins

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busybee53

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
none now
Right I give up. Pumpkin soup, pumpkin pie, pumpkin and pasta bake. So many recipes on line I don't know where to start.

What do you do with your pumpkins?. Has any one got a recipe without any spices added? Something similar to carrot cake but with pumpkin perhaps?

i roast mine with a smear of olive oile , garlic and chilli then blitz with chicken stock, spicey pumpkin soup, yummy

Hallowe'en?
:reddevil:
(Can we have a Hallowe'en smiley please, Admin?)

Cut small pumpkins in half, bake them and fill with curry.

bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/pumpkin pie_70659
Gives you a REALLY NICE sweet pumpkin pie recipe
Addictive!
E

Thanks folks, just need to get in the kitchen now. Got the idea that pumpkin and chocolate goes well from some of the recipes. Might experiment.

Not a pumpkin recipe but I made this carrot and courgette cake last week for a Macmillan coffee morning at work and it got real rave reviews from my colleagues (I got the last piece and I have to say it was really good). Found the recipe by accident on t'internet ...

The only thing I changed was I turned the two cakes into a sandwich and made an orange butter cream filling ... I would think it would work just as well with pumpkin as it does with courgettes.

The cake freezes well apparently.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1580644/carrot-courgette-and-orange-cakes

I also discovered that if you peel and shred courgettes without the seeds you can freeze them successfully for later use in cakes/stir fries etc.

You do need to get out more!!

Yehhh I know, but there's little else to do when it's raining and there's nothing on the bee hive to watch, TV is largely crap, I'm not digging allotments in the rain and I trapped my thumb in the lathe so can't make any shavings at present ... what else does a bloke do apart from shred courgettes and freeze them ? Oh ... and of course, eat cake !!

Right I give up.
You don't need to tackle them all at once. Cut off a fair chunk of stem, allow them to ripen in a warm kitchen for a few weeks and the hard skin will see them last through winter. As an experiment I tried leaving some squash as long as I could, some butternuts were a little dehydrated but still good a few months after the next year's were gathered in.

Latest posts

Back