Price of honey jars - up , up , up

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clear drum seen in a French market. Photo taken by a friend of Alison (fellow stallholder) while on holiday, so no idea of drum source.

Alison (market gardener with bees) used a white bucket+tap last year, but clear is pretty much essential. A light in the base would help the display. Had a look online without luck. Several customers are keen, and I'm sure it would catch on.

IMG-20220903-WA0000~2.jpg

Ordered my jars from the Bottle Company South today. As I only live 10-15mins away Anna was happy for me to collect. Saved the delivery cost, which helps a bit.

Just ordered a full pallet of next years jars from BFA, now the hard bit of trying to find somewhere to store them! 😱

Clear drum seen in a French market. Photo taken by a friend of Alison (fellow stallholder) while on holiday, so no idea of drum source.

Alison (market gardener with bees) used a white bucket+tap last year, but clear is pretty much essential. A light in the base would help the display. Had a look online without luck. Several customers are keen, and I'm sure it would catch on.

View attachment 35162
https://www.abelo.co.uk/shop/special-offers/29l-heated-acrylic-bottling-tank-2/

Last edited:
Seen that (and the price) and it's not what I was looking for. In fact, I'm not sure what role that tank serves: on the face of it, it's a bottling tank, but though the transparency makes it a good visual draw, the heated element ends up pricing it out range for general market use.
Possibly but for this country the heated element is possibly a good thing. Honey in cold food shops sets quickly it’s a pain in the arse when jars start setting let alone half a tank.

Possibly but for this country the heated element is possibly a good thing. Honey in cold food shops sets quickly it’s a pain in the arse when jars start setting let alone half a tank.
Fair point. Alison sheared her sheep last summer and wrapped the bucket with it when she came to market in November.

£455 (down from £520) is still a lot to pay, and take into account it's collection only, so add the cost of fuel to drive 300 miles from London to Telford and back, unless Abelo exhibit at the NHS in Surrey.

Nobody forces you to start on an industrial scale, if you have ten customers who ask you to reuse the jars. You can purchase 24 borosilicate jars and a second-hand dishwasher as an initial investment. You can even introduce other customers to the new service as a breakthrough in the business relationship. After a couple of years you can judge and compare the two modes of operation.
I think the second hand dishwasher speaks volumes. Nothing like Klebsiella or Pseudomonas flavoured honey.

Last edited:
£272 is a bit better, and to save shipping, Carl Fritz do attend the better of the two UK beekeeping shows.

https://www.carl-fritz.de/honig-bea...lexiglas-abfuellbehaelter-25-kg-auflagedeckel
The romantic in me is liking the thought behind these dispensers.... However, if they are airtight (looks like the lid of that Fritz unit clamps well shut) then is air pressure not going to be a problem (which anyone having tried to fill from the gate on a large airtight bucket will have experienced - belch, glug, belch, glug etc, until you break the seal on the lid) ??

Conversely, if not airtight, is that not really bad for the honey, it being hygroscopic and all ?

Also, punters filling jars from a honey gate ?

Feels like maybe a recipe for poor outcomes the more I think about it.

Anyone any experience with these ?

Latest posts

Back