Honey jars - 'Price Crunch' or rip-off?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amari

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
not even started to look at jars for this year yet :(

but £50 for 100 1lb jars does feel a bit high.

I've just received an email from Pattesons headed 'Price Crunch'. The link shows 1lb jars £50.87 per 100. Confusingly the header states they are screw top whereas the blurb underneath states 'twist off'.

https://www.jarsandbottles.co.uk/gl...ail&utm_term=0_7103557ae9-8dc20a2a35-77685411

Meanwhile the current price for 72 1lb jars from Compak is £24.42 - a no-brainer!

I like Pattesons jars ...bear in mind that their price includes delivery whereas Compak will charge £10 for delivery over £50 - free delivery over £250. And Pattesons is £52.39 for 100 jars not 72 - so if you do the maths on 100 ...

Pattersons £52.29 total
Compak £33.92 + £10 delivery £43.92 total

Yes, there's a lower price from Compak but not quite what I would descrbe as a rip off level. I seem to recall a half price offer from Pattesons last year when I bought some 1 lb honey jars from them and they were cheaper but I think like everything, you have to be careful to factor everything in and keep an eye open for offers.

It's expensive - the last offer they had it worked out as around 22p per jar.

Last year I got 500 12oz hex jars for about 120 quid.

My missus said "why has a pallet been delivered to the bottom of the drive? "

:)

It's expensive - the last offer they had it worked out as around 22p per jar.

Part of the problem appears to be a fairly general increase in the cost of glass - both new glass manufactured from raw materials and cullet (recycled glass - which makes up about 95% of the glass that goes into new jars and bottles).

I've noticed that the offers in the last six months are not as attractive as a couple of years ago. I suspect that as the current backlash against plastic in the environment continues to manifest itself in the media that glass containers (which can be almost 100% recycled) will become more evident and you could see food manufacturers reverting to glass from plastic and retailers jumping on the eco-friendly band wagon. With this will come inevitable increases in prices .. Energy prices and fuel prices are escalating and glass production uses vast amounts of energy .. the cost of shipping and packing of glass is higher (weight & fragility) and this will all contribute to higher prices.

What we have to be careful of as honey sellers is making sure the cost of goods is reflected in the price of our honey to the consumer ... jars, lids and labels purchased in small quantities are always going to cost more than those purchased in bulk and as a result represent a significant percentage of the cost of goods of a jar of honey ... check your profit margins on a regular basis and adjust your consumer prices accordingly. It's a lot easier to slide small price increases in to your regular customers every now and again than having to wack a big increase in to catch up on cost increases you have absorbed. Stockpiling jars is good for protecting margins but there will come a time when the stock pile has to be replaced ... at inevitably higher prices.

Basic economics but very relevant if jar prices are going to continue rising.

Could well be - at least there are other companies.

I never like paying and extra £20 for the pallet if buying a 1/2 pallet load...
but then the cost of a full pallet has to be offset against the bank loan charges and the space needed to put them in......

We are not all funded by the taxpayer as with that lot on some remote Welsh Island !!

Lucky for the islanders that fools like you prefer to spend their time crying and trolling instead of applying for allocated funding eh ?

Latest posts

Back