Pollen-laden dead bees - any ideas please?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PNW

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've three colonies in the garden, all very active today and bringing in pollen. However, just one colony, in a poly nuc has hundreds (guessing <200) of dead bees all laden with pollen, at the entrance and on surrounding 1m area.
My first thought was are they starving ? Then, has someone local been spraying ? Any other /better ideas welcome... I'm planning to look inside tomorrow.

Attachments

• dead_pollen_bees1.jpg
    dead_pollen_bees1.jpg
    613.2 KB · Views: 96
  • dead_pollen_bees2.jpg
    dead_pollen_bees2.jpg
    531.9 KB · Views: 95
I've three colonies in the garden, all very active today and bringing in pollen. However, just one colony, in a poly nuc has hundreds (guessing <200) of dead bees all laden with pollen, at the entrance and on surrounding 1m area.
My first thought was are they starving ? Then, has someone local been spraying ? Any other /better ideas welcome... I'm planning to look inside tomorrow.

Could they be late getting back to the hive and then succumbed to the cold?
As for spraying, I would think its the wrong time of year for that.

I agree - appearance is of healthy foraging bees.... just they are stone dead. I'm hoping the cold was the culprit (although the other two colonies are within 15m)... I'd rather that than disease or starving. Thanks for your collective reassurances all.

yes deffo bees frozen cold. It happens to mine a lot. its due to mine being in a shaded spot which is annoying. If it was in a sunny spot they would all come back to life...well they wouldn't get frozen out in the first place lol. I usually pick some of the stragglers and put them into the sun or blow into my hand (hot air) and they come back to life. That does look like a good amount though!

Found some pollen laden "dead" bees here on Monday - the good lady put them in a plastic tub and treated them to a warm hot water bottle underneath with a little honey and they were up and doing in no time. I dutifully took them back to the hive at dusk.

Inspection unveiled a thriving nuc with nearly 4 frames at least half covered with BIAS and a further 2 with much pollen and nectar (goodness knows from where). That nuc is indeed North facing, so conclude the temperature theory is the correct one. Thanks all :)

Had a few yesterday had been bringing in loads of pollen all day then later on many (30-40) were hitting the landing board, loaded with pollen as per your pictures, then either staying there or rolling off onto the floor. Appeared exhausted but the little girl was collecting them in her hand and warming them up before placing them back on the landing board where they promptly entered the hive without issue.

Same thing here today, not hundreds but several, one was almost in the entrance with 2 huge loads of pollen. Once the sun goes behind the clouds or the apiary is in the shade the temp difference can be quite a lot and the bees chill very quickly.

Temperature for sure this happened to me in the autumn and now.
As folk have said above. I cup the cold bee's in my hands until there warm again. I did think I'll put them on a heat matt that I use as bottom heat for plants.

Back