Paying rent in honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David1976

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Jarred up my first ever honey harvest today and i am really chuffed with the outcome as ive m really happy with this as ive also got heather comb still to cut and package too.

I have my bees on a local farmers land and he has asked for some honey and comb in payment. Whats a reasonable amount would you say?

I dont want to give too much but i also dont want to take the pi55 and not give him enough.

Thank you

David

Jarred up my first ever honey harvest today and i am really chuffed with the outcome as ive m really happy with this as ive also got heather comb still to cut and package too.

I have my bees on a local farmers land and he has asked for some honey and comb in payment. Whats a reasonable amount would you say?

I dont want to give too much but i also dont want to take the pi55 and not give him enough.

Thank you

David
I dont mind saying what i pay. I pay in honey, have 6 out apiaries ( more to come this winter) but pay 4 kilos of spring honey and 4 kilos of summer honey, so 8 kilos in total. Delivered in whatever they wish usually in 1 kilo pots.

I think this is bordering on the generous, but considering one full super gives you about 16 kilos, its a fair price.
where i live, land is cheap, very cheap to rent and for the size of plot, they couldnt get the same price of the value of the honey, so no wonder their happy. However i like to keep them sweet!! it pays in dividends long term. No hassle, come and go as i please.

Last edited:
I was told by my mentor that a pound per hvie was a fair deal. Further one of my landowners asked me not to give him any more as he was still struggling with the previous years.

When there is no honey, and it will happen, I find a good bottle of malt works well.

PH

i would tell him to F off simply for asking

"Politeness is the flower of humanity. "
Thay's very polite of you Millet! ;-)

It pays to give a little back to those that make your beekeeping possible. All of my apiaries are on other peoples land. What's a few jars of honey compared to their generosity?

Giving is the greatest pleasure anyone can do. My land ladies give me some land and I give them some honey nothing quite so simple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Politeness is the flower of humanity. "
Thay's very polite of you Millet! ;-)
Greed is the thing that Destroys my politeness, there is no need for it, for the record this is someone who helps folk by the way and not makes there life harder than it already is.

Giving is the greatest pleasure anyone can do.

Rather depends on what your giving as to whether you should derive the greatest pleasure from it, wouldn't you say?

tradition is 1lb per hive which one farm, run on traditional methods, is more than happy with. My other gets as much as she wants as we have a very different relationship. She shares both the feast and famine of the bee world. I have never known any landowner take the p155 and as I dont have a formal agreement I always give a little extra to maintain the relationship on good terms.

We pay one 1lb jar per month, totally 12lb in all per year and we can put as many hives on the site as we want.

I have different arrangements with different people - but they all ask when they want some and I give them a couple of jars. One of the farmers is really shy about asking, so it's a case of just guessing when he might have run out and dropping it off for him. Another site, the lady drops a hint by returning the empty jars. At the end of the day, without the space to put the hives I'd have to keep a lot less bees so I'm happy to give what they ask for.

My agreement is one 1lb jar per hive per year. Sadly my bee landlady had to buy her own honey this year......

We usually give the sisters about 5lb around Michaelmas and another 5lb or so at Christmas (apiary in convent garden), plus a couple of lbs for the very helpful gardener. If it's a poor year they expect it to be less.

It does my head in why folk have to pay for hive sites, granted we do get some honey maybe, but whoever keeps bees on farmland is surely doing the farmer a favour and if anything he should pay you for pollinating his crops, its the same when folk have to pay for pigeon shooting, yet again they are doing the farmer a favour.
The mind boggles.

It does my head in why folk have to pay for hive sites, granted we do get some honey maybe, but whoever keeps bees on farmland is surely doing the farmer a favour and if anything he should pay you for pollinating his crops, its the same when folk have to pay for pigeon shooting, yet again they are doing the farmer a favour.
The mind boggles.

I think you are wrong I have been around farms all my life and a little goes a long way to ensure a mutually beneficial relationship another beekeeper went around all my farmers this year asking for sites and all told him no had they not benefited from a few jars and a Christmas hamper the outcome might have been different.

I think you are wrong I have been around farms all my life and a little goes a long way to ensure a mutually beneficial relationship another beekeeper went around all my farmers this year asking for sites and all told him no had they not benefited from a few jars and a Christmas hamper the outcome might have been different.

:iagree:

Jar of honey per hive per year is nothing - spreads goodwill and ensures a helpful host.

I know you are wrong, i have also been around farms all my life, please do not get me wrong though as i would gladly give honey to any farmer if the need arose, but for them to expect it and even charge boils my urine, i'm sorry but i can not justify anyone having to pay to help farmers, if i had to i would give this hobby up as it is expensive enough as it is.

Last edited:
:iagree:

Jar of honey per hive per year is nothing - spreads goodwill and ensures a helpful host.
I give all what i had spare for free to friends and land owners, if they asked for it as payment i would give them it laced with sugar honey and be done with them.

Back