Best honey jar sizes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrickr

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi all

I've got excess honey I want to sell. I want to sell to neighbours and through online marketplace (Facebook?). There's also a local shop who has expressed an interest who would take 1LB jars. I'm considering all my options for bottling (to give me the widest possibilities): ie. 1Lb, 12oz or 8 oz. My question is, what do you all find are the most popular jar sizes?

Thanks

Best

Consider also your price - a 227g jar at £5 may seem like a lot (its all I sell where I am by the way) how does £10 for 454g sound to you? Smaller jars equals more labels and time. Depending on where you get the jars from both sizes will cost broadly the same for each jar. Shape also matters.

I sell to a wide spectrum of the public and adjust things to suit the punter.
If your customers wear Hunter wellies they happily fork out more than if they wear grubby white trainers from Poundstretchers.
Little hex jars command higher profit from the former so may well be worth the extra overheads for you.
The latter will expect more for their benefits money - "coss iss foggin cheeper in foggin tescos" -so jam jars are more appropriate.

Follow the big boys, product shrinkage rules. I sell in 8oz hex, why simple you get more per lb for your honey that way. Spend X on a lb is a bigger spend, these days people look for lower prices and do not caclulate price per lb.

a local shop who has expressed an interest who would take 1LB jars
They're living in the past as these days few shops sell in 454g. and as Enrico said, a 340 looks pretty similar to a 454 when you look at them together.

Modern customers expect local honey to cost more in a smaller jar, but with a taste that they can fall for; repeat sales are almost certain. Don't spread your stock thinly over several retailers: they like continuity of stock.

Selling fast at a lower price supresses value in the customer mind and does our business no good, so better to sell slowly over a year at a decent price.

Don't try and compete on price: supermarkets do it better and that is a different market entirely. Pembrokeshire Coast Honey sell 350g at £7 retail (compared to my 340/£9.50 in London) so you know what can be achieved in your area.

But a bargain is a bargain whatever the cost according to Agent Cooper.
Never mind the BOGOF thinking of Agent Cooper, consider instead this exchange between Cecil Graham and Lord Darlington:

Cecil Graham: What is a cynic?
Lord Darlington: A man who knows the price of everything, and the value of nothing.
Cecil Graham: And a sentimentalist, my dear Darlington, is a man who sees an absurd value in everything and doesn’t know the market price of any single thing.

(Lady Windermere's Fan by Oscar Wilde).

By chance I came across a blog called The Cost of Everything and the Value of Nothing which explores pricing, value, cost cutting and sales.

Here's a taste:
while brand-building efforts may not always increase revenues in the short term, they produce the important result of allowing the brand to charge higher prices over the long term.

In many industries, a 5% improvement in price can result in as much as a 50% improvement in profits.

Knowing the value of your honey and using contemporary packaging (Thorne labels are just not going to do it) will lead eventually to a better price for us all.

If your customers wear Hunter wellies they happily fork out more than if they wear grubby white trainers from Poundstretchers.
Little hex jars command higher profit from the former so may well be worth the extra overheads for you.
The latter will expect more for their benefits money - "coss iss foggin cheeper in foggin tescos" -so jam jars are more appropriate.

Hello
Hello blackcloud as a disabled bee keeper receiving benefits im offended by your comment 'coss iss foggin cheeper in tescos" just because your on benefits doesn't mean your poor don't have a job or talk funny/Common. But it dose make me feel better when i buy hunter wellies with your tax money 😁

Hello

Hello blackcloud as a disabled bee keeper receiving benefits im offended by your comment 'coss iss foggin cheeper in tescos" just because your on benefits doesn't mean your poor don't have a job or talk funny/Common. But it dose make me feel better when i buy hunter wellies with your tax money 😁
Well said. 🐝🐝

Hello

Welcome, I see you've just joined and dived into a fairly old thread. You might want to introduce yourself in the new members thread and tell us a bit about your beekeeping.

Latest posts

Back