Painting. Inside hives.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robin Dartington on his book on building and using the Dartington Long Hive recommends painting the inside with Kitchen and Bathroom emulsion. Says it is easier to wash and clean. Never tried it myself as I flame the insides regularly.

You may be interested in reading what Langstroth had to say about the painting of beehives:
The bees make a very liberal use of this substance [propolis] to fill up all the crevices about their premises: and as the natural summer heat of the hive keeps it soft, the bee moth selects it as a proper place of deposit for her eggs. For this reason, the hive should be made of sound lumber, entirely free from cracks, and thoroughly painted on the inside as well as outside. When glass is used, there is no risk that the bed[sic] moth will find a place in which she can insert her ovi-positor and lay her eggs.
[...]
My hives are so constructed, that if made of wood, they may be thoroughly painted inside and outside, without being so smooth as to annoy the bees; for they travel over the frames to which the combs are attached; and thus whether the inside surface is glass or wood, it is not liable to crack, or warp, or absorb moisture, after the hive is occupied by the bees. If the hives are painted inside, it should be done sometime before they are used. If the interior of the wooden hive is brushed with a very hot mixture of the rosin and bees-wax, the hives may be used immediately.

Langstroth, 'On the Hive and the Honey-Bee'

So Lorenzo painted the inside of his beehives, but for different reasons than myself. I deal with the small cracks (including those of the corner joints) by running waterproof glue into them during manufacture. Any larger cracks are filled with automotive body-filler before painting. But then I do glue my frames together, rather than just nailing them, in order to eliminate any cracks within which moths could lay their eggs. As it happens, I don't see wax moth from one year to the next (except the odd one or two in stored combs), so I must be doing something right.

With the prospect of SHB knocking on our doors, perhaps this is one area of beekeeping which could benefit from a re-appraisal of 'received wisdom' ?

LJ

Last edited:
Robin Dartington on his book on building and using the Dartington Long Hive recommends painting the inside with Kitchen and Bathroom emulsion.
That would worry me because 1 - Kitchen & Bathroom emulsions are more heavily dosed with fungicides and 2 - they are not intended for exterior use
Little John makes a good point - paying attention to the soundness of the hive structure is more important than using a paint to seal problems!

Why would there be cracks on a newly constructed hive? If there is, a bit of wax rubbed into the crevice would be the only thing I would use, however the bees would fill it in for you if deemed detrimental to them. Keep it simple and don't waste good money and time on painting inside your hive.

Why would there be cracks on a newly constructed hive? ... .

I don't know to whom you're referring, Redwood. To me? I was talking about polystyrene hives. There are little fissures between all the polystyrene bubbles and between the joints, and you can't flame them - but as I've also said, I've stopped painting the inside as I don't think those fissures are a problem (and painting the inside as well is expensive and time-consuming).

Kitta

Perhaps people are referring to painting the inside of the poly 'feeder'. I think I'm right in thinking some suppliers suggest you do this to prevent absorption into the poly matrix so mould doesn't grow.
In addition, I believe our friend has decided he likes Earth and has landed in Ireland if you check his 'Avatar'. Sigh of relief from some who thought they might have to apply for a 'rate rebate' when the neighbourhood went 'base over apex'!
:)

I consider my reply to your phrase, itma,
Some wally has painted INSIDE this beehive.
was fair enough and adequate ;) http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=451029&postcount=29
As to the paint… There are pro and contras certainly, and it`s up to a beek to decide whether does it worth an effort or not. The only thing that has not mentioned in this thread was… The bees nibble polyhives sometimes. I thought the paint would prevent it, but… Have a look at the picture:
IMAG0488_zpsb317b1a4.jpg

My bees nibbled a bit the inside right corner of the box at the bottom of the picture( see the thin white stretch around that corner) despite the fact that the box was painted twice. Not all boxes experienced nibbling though. And nibbling itself has happened during thymol treatment period, not earlier. I think that thymol has provoked an aggression of some bees towards different substances including thymol pads, paint, and even larva… But it`s not always the case.

More like the paint stuck.

You know of course that bees cant walk very well on nice smooth shiny surfaces.

I don't know to whom you're referring, Redwood. To me? I was talking about polystyrene hives. There are little fissures between all the polystyrene bubbles and between the joints, and you can't flame them - but as I've also said, I've stopped painting the inside as I don't think those fissures are a problem (and painting the inside as well is expensive and time-consuming).

Kitta

No

They walk on a glass all right even. But the point is… We do not need them to walk on walls of the hive actually. They should walk on frames, fanning nectar and warming brood ;) Anyway they have their options ;)

More like the paint stuck.

They can easily walk on painted polystyrene walls - whether that's inside or outside, it doesn't matter.

Much depends on what kind of wood you're making your hives from. I make mine from pallet wood, which is at risk of swelling (and busting glued joints) if subjected to a moist environment - I therefore paint the insides of such boxes. I don't think it's 'clever', just 'necessary' if you're working to a tight budget like this.

It's perfectly true that bees will coat the insides of a hive with propolis - eventually. But if you've used cheap and nasty wood, it'll be at risk at absorbing moisture (and thus swelling) until they do - and personally, I don't think it's worth taking the risk.

What paint to use ? In my opinion it doesn't much matter - just make sure that the paint has 'seasoned well' before putting any bees into the box. Never had a problem yet.

LJ

This, LJ has it.
Soft poly can be protected by a layer of paint, generally the manufacturing process leaves the surfaces 'sweaty' though, and this makes them shearer and harder than the softener interior, so painting is largely unnecessary.
With wood, it's as LJ says "depends on what kind of wood", I have a load of cheap softwood boxes where many of the boards are biscuit jointed, under certain conditions (heavy flows in spring) the moisture inside the hive gets too much and these boards can bow and split, a coat of cuprinol shades lets the moisture run off while allowing the timber to breathe and I have found it increases the lifespan of these white wood jointed boxes quite considerably.

Well they dont walk very well on the glass of my obs hive when I have cleaned it or on new foundation.

Dunno whether anyone else saw the response from the makers of Cuprinol Garden Shades in the last BBKA News.
Use it outside, NOT inside.
And they are trying to sell the stuff, so you might expect them to say "use as much as possible" - but they don't.

Back