Over run with earwigs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbeekeeper

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Never seen so many, they are under everything you lift or turn over.

Anybody else got them bad?

Yes,does seem to be a lot of earwigs about.

Never had so many but they don't seem to do any harm to the bees or do they?

No earwigs, but lots of wood lice in the roofs and 2 huge leopard slugs in one of the mating nucs!!

Yesterday evening I saw a bee grab an earwig as a terrier would and try to fly up through the glass quilt with it. Couldn't believe my eyes so kept watching and it happened again (earwig now dead) Could it have been killed this way? ... and before anyone says, I know terrriers don't grab and shake earwigs!

Never had so many but they don't seem to do any harm to the bees or do they?

I too have laods of them in the hive roof, but from what i can see, they are not brave enough to enter the hive

Never seen so many, they are under everything you lift or turn over.

Anybody else got them bad?
This seems to be a good year for earwigs. While crow shooting last week hundreds dropped out of a gatepost when I undid the bolt from gate to field. Have noticed many on allotment, and several above crown boards of hives. earwigs are vegetarian and live on numerous plant species, reason they are in hive is probably because it is nice and warm. They should cause no problem to bees or they would be rapidly ejected. I know they are a nuisance but do not, as I was told when young, get into your ear, eat through your brain, and come out the other ear.

Last edited:
I too have quite a few. They do eat nectar from a frame, but I don't know if they would uncap honey. If they do they could be a very big problem.

You can try a gardener's method of getting rid of or reducing their numbers.

Collect paper cups or similar, pack some straw-like material into them, put on a short stick near the hives.

Earwigs on the ground during the day, like to go up something at night. They'll go up the sticks and stay in the straw.

In the morning you can do what you like with the earwigs you collect.

Great trick if you grow dahlias.

It is certainly a bumper year.
Earwigs don't have a sweet tooth. They like dark and damp places, and I wonder if they are attracted to hives, hive roofs and crown boards by the moisture from a colony especially as honey is being dried down?

Back to the point though; are earwigs an issue or just an inconvenience?

When I did my courses, I was told that they don't bother the bees and are nothing to worry about.
That's what I was told, so untill I know different, I just leave them be...

Brian.

Latest posts

Back