Out Apiary Advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdNewman

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi All, I'm looking to expand my bees out of my Garden to an Out Apiary. I think I have found a lovely spot on a farm half way between home and work. I don't know the farmer, or anyone local to the farm so I was after some advice on how best to approach the farmer. Do I just turn up and introduce my self, or try out find out their name and send a letter or any better options?

I know this has been discussed here before but despite searching I can't find it!

Thanks in advance,
Ed.

I think I have found a lovely spot on a farm half way between home and work. I don't know the farmer, or anyone local to the farm so I was after some advice on how best to approach the farmer. Do I just turn up and introduce my self, or try out find out their name and send a letter or any better options?

I would have a look on Google Earth so you have an idea where might be suitable (vehicle access but not on public right of way, shelter from prevailing wind, etc). Then knock on the door and explain who you are and what you have in mind (it doesn't hurt to go armed with a couple of jars of honey to show your good intentions). Be prepared to be flexible. The farmer knows his land and may have a better suggestion than yours (beware of low-lying land that might flood or be a frost-pocket in winter).
Woodpeckers are a nuisance so be prepared to protect your investment with chicken wire if there are any there. There are lots around here so even my best sites are visited by woodpeckers.

Points to consider.

Paths + People, Livestock, Access, Visibility, Security, Water, Forage.

As B+ suggests and remember that to the land owner you are a potential nuisance and need to keep that in mind.

PH

I just rang a number of farmers up and was shown various sites. In some areas they will need to do hedge trimming. I go for areas where the nettles are and clear a space. One farmer had tried to get a beekeeper on his land and kept asking at the Royal Welsh Show. No information was ever passed on. He was overjoyed when I rang. You may need to fence the area off or the farmer may do it for you. I have been asked to move them this year but onto their solar farm and I will be issued with a key. Keep in mind if you have bees on a solar farm, it will be classed as a brown field site in 25 years time.

Had a farmer approach me once at the Bridgend show. He wanted bees on his land and was prepared to fence off, clear, you name it. He was a little too far away for me but some lucky beekeeper found a great site.
My landlord had his own bees which I was unaware of, yet he went out of his way to find a suitable place. He is the nicest man you could wish to meet.

Farmers are encouraged to have beehives on their farms - it enhances the points tally for the modern equivalent of the set aside scheme.

When I was looking for an out apiary I found that persistence paid off. Letters got me nowhere so one day I sat down with my phone and kept ringing local farmers till I found one that sounded persuadable. I then talked him into a quick meeting and we agreed a suitable placing. Talking face to face is much better!Once you have one local farmer on your side they can recommend you to their farmer friends and it is so much easier get sites with recommendation from another farmer.

The farmer whose land I'm on now is very supportive. Just remember to be generous when the honey crop arrives.

Thank you all for your replies, very useful.
I seems like the best approach is to actually talk to them on the phone, but how do I get phone numbers? I have a farm in mind and have tried to find owner's name and contact details on the web but without any luck (lots of references to the farm but no contact details).

Ed.

I have never phoned anyone.

I scout out the location then knock on the farm door.

KISS

PH

I seems like the best approach is to actually talk to them on the phone, but how do I get phone numbers? I have a farm in mind and have tried to find owner's name and contact details on the web but without any luck (lots of references to the farm but no contact details).

Ed.

Sometimes the farms turn out to be a private residence and no longer a commercial concern.

Understood, but this is certainly a working farm. I'm a fairly shy person so turning up at someones door without even knowing their name fills me with a bit of dread! However, I will just have to sort myself out and go for it. I've got too many supers on all my hives to even consider moving them at the moment so I've got till Autumn to pluck up the courage!

Ed.

Ed.

Try just asking about locally. if you find someone of the older generation who has lived there most of their lives you'll be surprised how much they know.

Yellow pages? Look under 'farmers'?

I haven't see a physical yellow pages for years! I did try yell.co.uk but they just have a holding company listed.

Anyhow I asked friend who goes to a nearby church and they know them so they are going to pass my details on \o/

Cheers for the help everyone.

Understood, but this is certainly a working farm. I'm a fairly shy person so turning up at someones door without even knowing their name fills me with a bit of dread! However, I will just have to sort myself out and go for it. I've got too many supers on all my hives to even consider moving them at the moment so I've got till Autumn to pluck up the courage!

Ed.

Just a thought, if you're not keen on cold calling farmers, how about contacting the local branch of the National Farmers Union? They might be able to put you in touch with farmers willing to have bees on their land.

I had luck posting a small note on the bulletin board at my local farm supplies store. All the local farmers hang out there.
I had two responses within a week and used one of them which was a great site. Distance at 3.5 miles from home is perfect for moving bees back and forth if I need to.

When I moved into this village 16 years ago, knowing nobody, I put an ad in the parish magazine and receive two replies. Since then I've found most land owners most willing to help. I now have one main and two splendid out-apiaries.

Back