Observation Hive Advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GarysBees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi there,

I've got the chance to purchase an observation hive like this. I was just wondering if anyone has seen one similar to this and if it's possible to keep it outside. I don't like the idea of having bees indoors, however it would be nice to have a hive that we can see inside clearly.

Also is it possible to add supers onto this or is it simply that size and that's it?

I have a 1 national hive currently

observation.JPG

looks like the flow hive prototype lol

HAHA yes but without the evil honey extracting lever

Other pictures. But by the look of it, it is for indoor use. This is my view because it swivels.
The plastic top has vents, but strangely the nearest and rear section of it looks like queen excluder and it only holds 9 frames. It may hold 10 if one frames is obscured, which would make it WBC size.

Attachments

• SAM_0035.JPG
    SAM_0035.JPG
    738.2 KB · Views: 41
  • SAM_0036.JPG
    SAM_0036.JPG
    686.6 KB · Views: 29
  • SAM_0037.JPG
    SAM_0037.JPG
    720.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Other pictures. But by the look of it, it is for indoor use. This is my view because it swivels.
The plastic top has vents, but strangely the nearest and rear section of it looks like queen excluder and it only holds 9 frames. It may hold 10 if one frames is obscured, which would make it WBC size.

Well, well isn't beekeeping a small world! are you the person selling it on gumtree? I texted you earlier about possibly collecting it tomorrow for my dads birthday! haha!

I know he really wants an observation hive, however I know that he wouldn't want to keep it inside the house. From the appearance it looks like it would weather ok outside... would you agree? Also the plastic top looks like it unscrews so it may be possible to adapt it to add a super on later?

Finally, if it was designed for in door use does it require a pipe? If so where abouts would that be attached? I'm hoping to head down some time tomorrow before you plan to go out. Is it ok to text/call you in the morning to confirm?

Thanks!

If you look closely at the picture the pipe fits underneath the observation hive allowing it to swivel. Doesn't look waterproof, just above the draws are vent holes with what looks like perforated zinc.

Back