New Beekeeper in 2024!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always light the smoker but use it little. Like Curly, I used to give the bees a whiff under the crown board
Never bother now
Hives are top space so it's easy to avoid crushing bees when I've finished

I always light the smoker but use it little. Like Curly, I used to give the bees a whiff under the crown board
Never bother now
Hives are top space so it's easy to avoid crushing bees when I've finished
Hi Dani,
I’ve never really understood why TBS is any less likely to crush bees than BBS as you have bee space in both configurations. It’s just that with BBS it’s accommodated in the crown board.

Because I have found that often there is a lot of bees on the top bars when I've finished.
Perhaps it's the way I inspect
I've heard people say that with TBS you don't see the bees you crush at the bottom. Considering I don't move the brood box off the floor, which is deep anyway and I don't tend to separate supers and that the bottom one is over a rimmed QX that's not an issue.

The thing is, some people are so fixated on dousing their bees with smoke/water/whatever they have given up on thinking whether it is needed before inspecting, rather than it being (as should be) something sat next to the hive to be used occasionally if needed - whether that be to gently move the bees off the lugs when inspecting, push them down of the top bars when closing up etc. And not as a weapon which many think it should be used as.
I think it's been amply demonstrated on this thread that thinking and beekeeping seem to occupy two entirely separate worlds.
I usually light the thing and then have no need of it as the bees are usually just going about their business and pretty much ignore me.

Yes, that’s right.
The natural reaction to smoke which naturally could only mean a nearby forest fire.
If you take our a frame after smoking you can see the bees with heads into all the open honey cells, yes?
Not that old fairy tale again, you'll be saying next that they gorge themselves on honey at the first whiff of smoke

Another one for the book of beekeeping myths, magic and bullshine I'm afraid.
Robert Pickard has spoken in depth about the fact that bees orientate to the ground/gravity each morning on leaving the hive, and in all my time working (not as some of my junior crew have hinted,actually walking ) on water I have never experienced there being a difference in gravity on open stretches of water. I've often when fishing from a boat on lakes/reservoirs seen honeybees, bumble bees, dragon and damsel flies, as well as countless other insects fly past me - never once have I witnessed one flying upsidedown
For once I agree with jenkinsbrymair regarding using a smoker. Recent research has shown that the smoke de-sensitises the bees’ antennae for 10 minutes or so. Which means that they don’t react to the alarm pheromone.

For once I agree with jenkinsbrymair regarding using a smoker. Recent research has shown that the smoke de-sensitises the bees’ antennae for 10 minutes or so. Which means that they don’t react to the alarm pheromone.
yes it dulls the senses.
That's it.
I barely use my smoker to be honest.
I guess it depends on how 'lively' the hive is
Light it , give them a few puffs, get in , get out.

Recent research has shown that the smoke de-sensitises the bees’ antennae for 10 minutes or so. Which means that they don’t react to the alarm pheromone.
Not doubting you at all, but I couldn't find this study. Would you mind giving a pointer please? Any decent research in this area sounds like a good thing.

Latest posts

Back