Need Advice for possible Out Apiary

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpearce4

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
a few more than last year but still not enough
Hi im in negotiations with a property agent that works on behalf of a land owner im trying to get to let me use some of thier land for an out apiary.

The Property agent seems like he wants it to go ahead but has raised some questions. Can someone give me advice on what to say for the question and what other comments i could make to convince them.

see email trail below.

Dear Douglas,

Thank you for your email.

Nearby farmers spray fields for onerous weeds etc, is this likely to have an impact if bees were to be permitted in the chalk pit?

In order to move things forward I think it is probably best to have a meeting. Would you be able to meet me at the office? We are open until 5.30pm each day. I will then be in a position to inform our client on how to proceed.

Kind regards,
Robert

Sent: 04 September 2012 11:25
To: Robert Baker
Subject: Re: S****** - Bees

Hi Robert

Thank you for getting back to me about the old chalkpit.

I have been beekeeping for 3years now and at present have 15 hives on the A****** farm. What i am looking for is an area like the chalkpit that is not able to be cultivated so that i can increase the number of hives i have, looking at the site from the gate i would hope to have upto 20 there as there is the space. The site is good as it is away from houses, so there wouldnt be issues with people on a day to day basis and it would be great obviously for the farmer that has the land around as it will help the pollination of his crops. It is also reasonably level and sheltered so the bees will be protected from the prevailing winds.

If you wanted to have more of a chat about it i maybe able to arrange sometime to come and see you either at your office or the site, depending on time as i am now back at work teaching after the summer break.

I look forward to hearing from you soon
douglas

Subject: S****** - Bees
Date: 04-Sep-2012 09:15:46 +0100

> Dear Doug,
>
> I have been forwarded your contact details from Sean at N****
> Construction as I understand you have expressed an interest in keeping
> bees in the in chalkpit at S******. We are the managing agents for
> the Estate. I would be grateful if you could forward me
> further information about your desire to use the area and your current
> experience of bee keeping.
>
> I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Last edited:
I would first edit out all locations as you never know who is looking. The farmer should notify local beekeeping associations about spraying anyway.

Relying on the "improving the farmers crops" is unlikely if he is grass and cereals for instance. If he has OSR then you could mention a potential 10 - 15% increase in yield. If thre is no fruit or OSR then claiming a benefit is spurious and they will know it, they do know their stuff after all.

Try and put yourself in their shoes. Are you going to be a nuisance? Will you leave gates open... are you a worry potentially? If you can reassure them on those grounds then you should have every chance.

Good luck

PH

Do you have public liability insurance? If so it could be good to point this out.

I've got one hive in exactly the same situation, a chalk pit surrounded by fields.
The only problems I have come across is others accessing the pit(rabbit poaching), and advising the farmer I am there (the pit is owned by a trust who asked me to site one of my hives there).
Good luck as foraging can be great in these old pits and shelter from winter winds, although there is the danger of frost pockets.

:D
Do you have public liability insurance? If so it could be good to point this out.

print off the insurance public liabilty insurance from the BBKA web site (assuming you are a member)....it gives them something for their file ( i used to be the land Agent many years ago)

Get copies of the various spraying guidelines. from Bayer http://www.bayercropscience.co.uk/

..not worth the paper they are written on but look good

or

http://www.defra.gov.uk/publications/files/pb7190-harmful-weed-control.pdf

any spraying for weeds should not effect the bees ( according to bayer that is :D)

Cheers MM i have taken copies of those docs i can add them to my bbka insurance. i have also found out from the landowners website they want to promote biodiversity to.

Cheers MM i have taken copies of those docs i can add them to my bbka insurance. i have also found out from the landowners website they want to promote biodiversity to.

I had to write a risk assesment at my univesity hives

summerised as

1) warning sign
2)all people taken by you to have PPE (ie beesuit)
3)48 hours notice of workman working near hives...lock in for 24hrs max possible)
4) 14 days notice to relocated for major works less than 14dyas duration
5)28 days notice to permanently move hive

and on our roof..dont go near the edge or on the roof in gales

might be worth drawing up a set of risks/rules
6) contact phone for swarms

With regard to yield from OSR it appears farmers are sowing more hybrid OSR each year which I have been given to understand is all but useless to the bees :(

Just wonder if others in the forum have any knowledge of of hybrid OSR, and whether bees work it or not?

Had meeting today with property co that looks after the estate management.

Looks like it will be a go ahead. he has to have final chat with land owner and seems to think it will happen as they want to been seen as encorging bio diversity as part of South downs national park.

Will have a final answer in a week.

whilst there was asked if my bees would help the pollenation of grapes. said i didnt think so but would ask on here so do they?

he asked as someone who he works with had an idea it maybe worth their while offering my services to other land owners they manage for.

Latest posts

Back