National or BWC

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barrys Bees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I am just getting started in Bee keeping and wanted to know the difference between a National and WBC hive and also wanted the plans and sizes of both as I am going to make my first hive.many thanks Barry

The frames are the same however the boxes are not. Bees do equally well in both (I've got some of each). There's a lot more wood in a WBC which adds to the cost and the inspection time. If you enjoy making hives, then you'll get double the fun with a WBC!

WBCs look lovely, I used one this year as emergency swarm housing. The double wall is a pain in the bum when you're checking the colony though.

WBC's will be a real PITA to make, regardless of your level of carpentry skills, the brood chamber is slightly smaller than the national (10 frames instead of 11) which can be an issue depending on what bees you end up keeping in them. If you are determined on going DIY on your first hive - build a national.

National boxes fit inside WBA outers so why make WBC inner boxes?

WBCs look nice, always stuck me there was just more stuff to store.

As above nice to look at but there's enough work to do in national alone. I'm a time served joiner 27yrs exper & plenty of machinery but I can't be doing with WBC's as I have spent enough time building nationals just to have kit in stock ready for the swarmy blighters. If you are retired time may not be such an issue.

If you fancy the extra protection the wbc offers just add celotex bonnets in the cold seasons

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back