Move Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff4051

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 plus 3 communities
We are contemplating building an indoor apiary, could we transfer a colony from outside approx. 1 metre away to an indoor hive. Would they be confused, if we did it in the winter would that work?????. There were so many colonies lost last year to the weather.??????????????

Ideally move them in a really cold spell in winter when they have been inside for a few days and are likely to stay there for a couple of weeks. The main problem that I can see is a temperature lift when you put them inside which may make them want to fly, if so use mesh floor and keep entrance blocked for a couple of weeks. Should be ok then. Not too sure where you think the benefits will be for an inside hive. Like the fresh air and sunshine on my back myself!
E

Another thought is that the temps inside will be warmer, the bees will be active when it will be too cold for them outside, causing losses?

Wouldnt it be better to both insulate the hives, and build some screening to shelter them from the wind?

Where the hives are there is a wind tunnel effect, strangely it is a Westerly wind, very cold in winter not much winter sun. I can get more hives in a smaller spot, it would be too cold to put any hives where the apiary is going to go????? In the sunny area o/s hives so the best of both worlds.

Latest posts

Back