meat rabbits

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
one buck two does , lucky boy
don't go for large , as in Flemish giants or sorts, nor go for dwarf , stick to average size as make good meat rabbits.

New Zealand or Californian I would stick too for good meat to bone ratio. While there are larger breeds, eg continental giants they have a higher bone weight. I even experimented with crossing NZs with Cgiants and while you do get a bigger rabbit they eat more and you have no net gain, so stick to NZ or Cali. Bit like the poultry industry, you want them as heavy as young as possible as i found older meat rabbits got very tough.

Try gumtree or similar as some keep NZs as pets but make sure the does are less than 9 months old. I put an ad up there wanted a couple of years ago and got a few contacts in Eire, obviously not good for you but similar ad on mainland might work.

New Zealand White bucks on Californian does is what we used back in the seventies. The New Zealand gave a large bone structure and the Californian had heavier meat coverage, the combination seemed to get the best of both.

We had 50 breeding does serviced by two bucks and sold all the progeny at about ten weeks old up at Smithfield market. It was always difficult to market locally here in the West Country, as soon as we mentioned rabbit meat people brought up worries about myxomatosis.

New Zealand White bucks on Californian does is what we used back in the seventies. The New Zealand gave a large bone structure and the Californian had heavier meat coverage, the combination seemed to get the best of both.

We had 50 breeding does serviced by two bucks and sold all the progeny at about ten weeks old up at Smithfield market. It was always difficult to market locally here in the West Country, as soon as we mentioned rabbit meat people brought up worries about myxomatosis.

I just love rabbit stew ... my wife and family just go mad about it ... fluffy bloody bunny syndrome - won't even let me buy the frozen ones let alone rear and kill them to eat - it's bizarre, no problem with chicken rearing - even happy to let me rear pork weaners eventually when enough land - they eat just about every other meat - just venison and rabbit they have an issue with ! Two of the leanest, healthiest meats you can eat ... hopeless.

I just love rabbit stew ... my wife and family just go mad about it ... fluffy bloody bunny syndrome - won't even let me buy the frozen ones let alone rear and kill them to eat - it's bizarre, no problem with chicken rearing - even happy to let me rear pork weaners eventually when enough land - they eat just about every other meat - just venison and rabbit they have an issue with ! Two of the leanest, healthiest meats you can eat ... hopeless.

We were choosing venison in Morrisons and a lady came up with her husband and looked at us in evident disgust. Her husband explained he would love to eat venison but his wife "refused to eat bambi"..(his actual words).

Say no more...

We were choosing venison in Morrisons and a lady came up with her husband and looked at us in evident disgust. Her husband explained he would love to eat venison but his wife "refused to eat bambi"..(his actual words).

Say no more...

..... some friends from Peru were surprised when we explained that "Giggles" was a pet, and not being fattened up for the table!

Cats and dogs find their way to the plate in farthest eastern Asia apparently... wonder if they taste like rabbit?

"Giggles" is a guinepig/ cavie / marsvein... can not remember what it is in Spanish, but often mistaken for horse!

Cats and dogs find their way to the plate in farthest eastern Asia apparently... wonder if they taste like rabbit?
QUOTE]

More likely chicken ... I've had snake, in Africa, amongst other things - usually tastes like chicken. Guinea pigs probably good baked in clay like hedgehog !!

Say no more...

When i worked in Richmond, SW london i shared a house with a person whose job it was to clear the road kill of Bambis from the Royal Park and then take it to a Hunt near Pangbourne

I was surprising as to how many three legged Bambis the park seem to have LOL, no wonder they got knocked over, lovely cooked slowly in red wine

In the 60'sas a kid i bred Rabbits for whipsnade Zoo....1/9 to 2/6 a live rabbit, never asked any more Question but we used Whites as they paid the higher price

Last edited:
"Giggles" is a guinepig/ cavie / marsvein... can not remember what it is in Spanish, but often mistaken for horse!

cobayo... caballo.....

eaten hedgehog... baked in clay... bit like chicken !

Hey Pete,

Are you going into production?
Hubby and I bought a couple of houses and barns last year in France, enough land etc. for a nice sized smallholding. We hope to retire out there in three years time.

Hubby suffers from fluffy critter syndrome but will happily eat home raised as long as he doesn't name them and I do the deed!:eek:

I look forward to exchanging ideas with you in the future as you will have the experience I lack.

Good luck
Ziggy

personally i am not , i looked into it very very hard a few years back and it looked perfect for me, the rear garden is too small and the allotment has no security other then the chicken pen so its a no for me.

a friend of mine has recently moved back to the uk and has started a bit of a small holding. in the uk all small holdings only seam to do large animals pigs, sheep, goats and cows, all of the small holder websites seam to hold no information on small animals and no crop information at all,

this guy is like me, more of a market gardener, so he is into small high value crops, wheat, oats, etc and small animals rabbits and chickens, ducks no geese, bee's etc, things that he can value add before selling onwards.

as i said we tried the local adverts and the usual small holder stuff, but all the animals we have looked at were breed or focused for pets and because they were new zealand rabbits they were ok for meat if no one wanted them as a pet.

the last few times i have had dealing with rabbits i was able to find a rabbit farmer who when its done for meat only they have a better genetic stock, focused on meat production.

this friend wants to keep a trio to prove cost effectiveness of the resualts, before expanding to the planned 18 doe set up he wants,

the problem is that untill last week i never realised that the commercial rabbit breeders of the uk have no formal group organisation or support network, and i had not realised there was so many anti rabbit farm groups, you tube videos and news paper reports.

so i get the feeling everyone keeps there heads down just in case they get tartgeted by the anti's

as for the breed we were looking for, it was either new zealands or californians or a mixture. basically thats the idea behind finding a commercial breeder, he would have his or her own speciality cross and thats fine for what we want

Back