Any scouts at your swarm trap?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
None at mine.
No reports of swarms in my local vicinity and even in the county I have only heard of 3 swarms.
All my hives were pleasant today, no swarm cells found
Calm before the storm I think

None at mine.
No reports of swarms in my local vicinity and even in the county I have only heard of 3 swarms.
All my hives were pleasant today, no swarm cells found
Calm before the storm I think
Inspected all my hives 2nd May. No sign of swarming. Inspected 10th May and 3 out of 6 hives had Qcups with eggs. And I thought my swarm prevention was proceeding nicely. Not looking forward to my apiary storm.
Yesterday afternoon, perversely, a swarm arrived in a bait box 100m away. It settled nicely and at dusk. I moved the box (solid floor, wooden national brood box with small entrance, crown and roof). This afternoon - empty - absconded. Broken hearted.

Biggest one I’ve seen arrived this morning. Hope they’ll fit in a single bb as I’m running short of kit.

View attachment 39936
Buy more kit!!
I did some strange things last year due to swarming and lack of kit: 2 or 3 swarms all chucked in together a day or two apart, requeened a queenless hive by uniting with a swarm, somehow got through it.
Air freshener is a godsend!

Buy more kit!!
I did some strange things last year due to swarming and lack of kit: 2 or 3 swarms all chucked in together a day or two apart, requeened a queenless hive by uniting with a swarm, somehow got through it.
Air freshener is a godsend!
Another has just arrived in my other swarm trap 😱

Oh, jolly.

I just had the farmer who owns the land where I have some hives drop by. He's renting out the farmhouse and living in another house he's building at the moment. The tenants have just told him that "a load of wasps" have invaded the kitchen.

In fact, a swarm (don't think it was one of mine -- I was there this afternoon) has found a hole where there's a cable running through an exterior wall into the ceiling void above the kitchen and today took up residence. They've found gaps in the ceiling and are trying to leave via the kitchen. The tenants are going bananas.

I've suggested that he tries to seal up the holes first so the bees don't see a light source from the kitchen. I'll nip down and have a look first thing tomorrow. I reckon they could be a nightmare to remove.

I have a bait hive on-site, too. The bees seem to have completely ignored it, perhaps because they didn't find it. I did get a swarm in it last year, so presumably it's not unattractive to them if they do find it.

James

I’ve got two bait hives in my out apiaries. Not a sniff so far…. I’m crossing fingers it might be tomorrow as weather is set to be warm. And no breeze.

Oh, jolly.

I just had the farmer who owns the land where I have some hives drop by. He's renting out the farmhouse and living in another house he's building at the moment. The tenants have just told him that "a load of wasps" have invaded the kitchen.

In fact, a swarm (don't think it was one of mine -- I was there this afternoon) has found a hole where there's a cable running through an exterior wall into the ceiling void above the kitchen and today took up residence. They've found gaps in the ceiling and are trying to leave via the kitchen. The tenants are going bananas.

I've suggested that he tries to seal up the holes first so the bees don't see a light source from the kitchen. I'll nip down and have a look first thing tomorrow. I reckon they could be a nightmare to remove.

I have a bait hive on-site, too. The bees seem to have completely ignored it, perhaps because they didn't find it. I did get a swarm in it last year, so presumably it's not unattractive to them if they do find it.

James
The trouble is that even if you are sure it's not one of yours you may get the blame!

Some bee-quick or benzaldehyde through the gaps in the kitchen ceiling this early on might persuade them outside and into a suitable box with a bit of brood comb in 🤞

First swarm arrived today. Only a tiny swarm, but at least I can absolutely definitely say they weren't mine 😉 I was outside gardening all day and saw them scouting in the morning and then arrive by lunchtime.

So far so good. Three queens split and in nucs. Four yet to declare their intentions. Up to ten colonies now, more than enough.
Met a local beek the other day who keeps their bees in the garden. Lets them freely swarm and then says they are bad tempered to add to the problem 😖

First swarm arrived today. Only a tiny swarm, but at least I can absolutely definitely say they weren't mine 😉 I was outside gardening all day and saw them scouting in the morning and then arrive by lunchtime.
Ah, but did they swarm out of your hive in the last few days & have been hanging out nearby? 😁

Set up more bait hives. Bees stopped coming to original bait hive but it is in a sunny position tbh so I don't think they like it.

Ah, but did they swarm out of your hive in the last few days & have been hanging out nearby? 😁
You make a very good point! But one I'll choose to ignore,😃 particularly since I've just had to collect another small swarm from just up the road. These bees have no respect for my weekend plans 😉

Been to look at the bees that have moved into the house. It's really not good. They've got in through a hole about 30mm diameter and are occupying a void above a false ceiling and/or a false wall where a window has been closed off. I suspect it's quite a small swarm and a few dozens of bees have found their way into the kitchen through gaps between the ceiling and the walls, but the tenants are very not happy. It does seem slightly odd that the access hole has been there for decades and a swarm has never found it before.

I've passed on the details of a local company that does cutouts and suchlike. I don't think there's much I can do personally.

James

Latest posts

Back