low on stores

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

protheroe

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
a few
i feed my hives through september and they are normally fine getting through winter.my van has been in and out of the garage and so i havent been to the out apiaries for a few weeks but all had enough winter stores at the latter part of september.on checking yesterday, all the hives are light and a couple felt nearly empty,i just hope i can get enough syrup into them before it gets too cold,its cost me around 300 in sugar so far and looks like i will be needing a lot more.[oh the joys of beekeeping]

apart from an emergency feed in september, I did not start feeding until last week.

more food going on today.

In my part of the world the 'average' daytime temperature does not sink below 9 degrees until early November.

If the weather catches us out, there is always fodant

You going to put some thymol in that syrup? I would, if only because it helps control nosema. We know that nosema reduces the ability of colonies to forage and it also interferes with the energy pathway (taking calories that otherwise would have been used by the bee). Nosema therefore massively increases the risk of starvation when stores are short. You could use the Hivemaker recipe on here or just buy some of that Hivealive.

You going to put some thymol in that syrup? I would, if only because it helps control nosema. We know that nosema reduces the ability of colonies to forage and it also interferes with the energy pathway (taking calories that otherwise would have been used by the bee). Nosema therefore massively increases the risk of starvation when stores are short. You could use the Hivemaker recipe on here or just buy some of that Hivealive.

:iagree: i do.

i dont see much nosema in my hives.the only time i see splats is on the nucs after being split from the hives in spring and summer but it quickly disappears[stress related].i dont see it in my large colonys.

Have they been robbed or why they are light?

But I have met that if the hive has a big ventilation, they consume in a month the whole winter stores.

i feed my hives through september and they are normally fine getting through winter.my van has been in and out of the garage and so i havent been to the out apiaries for a few weeks but all had enough winter stores at the latter part of september.on checking yesterday, all the hives are light and a couple felt nearly empty,i just hope i can get enough syrup into them before it gets too cold,its cost me around 300 in sugar so far and looks like i will be needing a lot more.[oh the joys of beekeeping]

Hi protheroe,
It's so disappointing isn't it. You think you are done and hey here we go again. I am going to inspect today (quickly) and I am sure my conclusion is going to be more feed - which only seems to encourage more brood not stores! The season is not over or so the bees are trying to tell us. This time last year my one and only collony had perfect compliment of stores but alas no queen - now plenty of winter bees but insufficient stores on some. Can't win. I think a lot of beeks are going to be in the same situation as us, but they don't know it yet.

i can see a lot of hives being lost this winter.september feeding is normally sufficient for my hives but ive been caught out this year but i still have time to feed so not that bad.if anyone reading this stopped feeding at the end of sept please check the weight of you hives.
hi finman,no robbing,just a lot of brood rearing after the apiguard came off and there must have been a lack of nectar even though there are large ammounts of balsam and ivy around

The only way to check Nosema levels is via microscope.

If you see diarrhoea on the hive its a bit late.

PH

i feed my hives through september and they are normally fine getting through winter.... i havent been to the out apiaries for a few weeks but all had enough winter stores at the latter part of september.on checking yesterday, all the hives are light and a couple felt nearly empty,i just hope i can get enough syrup into them before it gets too cold, ...

Have they been robbed or why they are light?

But I have met that if the hive has a big ventilation, they consume in a month the whole winter stores.

1/ were they on reduced entrances?
2/ is there no Ivy where you are?
3/ ... and I also wonder about the strain of bee ... ?

they are on reduced entrances and yes theres ivy.the bees are local carnie mongrels that normally do well at this time of year.it really has been a very difficult season for me.Queen matings have been a complete nightmare to lack of honey and now lots more cash on sugar.bad year all round and so am looking forward to a hopefully great season next year.

How much syrup have you given them so far? I normally expect to feed mine 15-25 litres per hive, depending on the configuration.

I am sure the additional feed I had to feed in early September will not count in my 'normal' figures.

£300 sugar does not go far these days, but it pays to shop around.

there doesnt seem to be any offers on at the moment,cheapest is tescos at 3.99 per 5 kg bag.does anyone know if the sugar companies sell it by the half ton?

they are on reduced entrances and yes theres ivy.the bees are local carnie mongrels that normally do well at this time of year.it really has been a very difficult season for me.Queen matings have been a complete nightmare to lack of honey and now lots more cash on sugar.bad year all round and so am looking forward to a hopefully great season next year.

I understand it so that they have reared brood with ivy pollen and then honey stores go quickly.

there doesnt seem to be any offers on at the moment,cheapest is tescos at 3.99 per 5 kg bag.does anyone know if the sugar companies sell it by the half ton?

Have you got a Bookers near you?

15kg £11.29

Starvation

I have lost some colonies this year already due to starvation, I was away for a period of three weeks and when I looked at some of the hives they were in a sorry state. I know its my fault, but ive struggled all year with these bees, ive been feeding on and off all year and am still feeding now the remaining 6/7 colonies. Here in Cheshire its getting a little colder now so i'll have to switch to fondant. I'm still having trouble with wasps believe it or not. All I can do now is try and watch over the colonies over winter, feed fondant and do an oxalic treatment near Xmas, and hope for the best for next year.
Lets hope its a better beekeeping year, can't be much worse!.

Dave W

I understand it so that they have reared brood with ivy pollen and then honey stores go quickly.

yes finman,i think thats whats happened.the queens stopped laying with the apiguard but after treatment they started laying vigorously for the time of year and food consumption was high.

Latest posts

Back