Lots of stores in brood box

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffo

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Temperatures here on my North facing hillside have only just started creeping above 13 degrees, but I was finally able to get at my 4 hives which seem to have come nicely through the winter. I had Nadired a part full super underneath each hive so getting these out was my first job. Although a bit damp and with some debris on them that had fallen from above, this seems to have been a successful operation as most of the stores had been eaten or moved.
In moving aside my national brood boxes, all 4, I found they were almost too heavy to lift. Clearly it seems I fed too much syrup in the autumn. I have delayed a full inspection, having created quite enough mayhem for this week, but am now planning tactics for next week. It seems to me that I will need to create laying space by removing some frames of stores. So, I am wondering how I can safely store these until later in the year.

I put mine in the freezer. I have tried simply storing them in a sealed brood box in my shed but they have always got mouldy.

Back