laying worker colony in smallish plot

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jif5

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello,

Some input on an issue I have would be very appreciated.
When you have a laying worker hive on a smallish plot (approx 40 x 40) are there any other options rather than a shakeout (the plot size means i cant get very far away from the hive)? I don't want to combine with my other hive as this has only just superseded and I would worry about overwhelming a new laying queen
with laying workers, or stripping it of important new brood.
Should I just cut my losses and let it run its course until it dies out?

Thanks

I really have never tried this but how about putting a frame of fertilised eggs from your good hive in the hope that they will raise a queen!
E

Have you thought of where thes bees are going to go after you have shaken them out?

That's right, the only place for them is your other hive.

40 x 40 seems a decent sized plot - that is if it is in metres.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.
The plot is only 40 x 40 ft that is why I cant shake them out as they will go to the other hive, and at this stage I don't want to take the brood from the other as it needs time to rebuild up after the recent queen change. I just wondered if there are any other techniques for dealing with the problem. I get the feeling this one will need to be written off and become part of the learning process.

Thanks

So where will they be going?

They will all fly home - and if home is adjacent to your other colony, but there is no hive there any longer, that is where they will likely end up?

Just shake them out - they should sort themselves out - begging atmittance to a strange hive that is Q+ should supress the layer's instinct anyway if they do get let in.

Latest posts

Back