Laurel as forage.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Could any of you plant experts please tell me what sort of nectar flow bees get from Laurel trees? Many of them around, in full flower, and nectar coming in, but I don't see any bees on the flowers. Would just be interesting to know. Many thanks for any replies.

The cherry laurel has nectar, I'm not sure about the ordinary wide leaved one. But remember these shrubs have poisonous foliage. I will have a further check is some old reference books.

Mike

The cherry laurel has nectar, I'm not sure about the ordinary wide leaved one. But remember these shrubs have poisonous foliage. I will have a further check is some old reference books.

Mike

Every part of cherry laural is poisonous, even water running off leaves poisons plants underneath.

Many thanks all. I have never seen so many flowers on them, maybe that is where the bees get the nectar from. More than usual for this time of year.

long a go when life was real farmers would crush laurel leaves and mix with cooking oil and water to worm dose cattle, mimim oil and water wont mix

long a go when life was real farmers would crush laurel leaves and mix with cooking oil and water to worm dose cattle, mimim oil and water wont mix

Many thanks for that, you learn something every day, Wormed my Highlands last week with an Ivamec product fortunately it was a pouron.

Regards

Mike

Bees all over my laurel hedge today. it's not in flower - they appear to be taking something from the underside of new leaves. Any clues as to what is going on?

Yes, look carefully and you will see them having a drink or a lick. Some also have to learn that herbicides (even natural ones) are not necessarily poisonous to bees (a la cherry laurel).

Excellent, thanks very much, I couldn't believe that they were taking nectar from the leaves, but obviously are, and all joining in and enjoying it!
Ah, much better explanation than I was thinking, that I had missed a swarm and it was in the hedge, even though that didn't fit!

Back