How significant is the direction the entrance faces?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MC seems not to realise that humans 'feel colder' if their feet are just a few degrees colder than their head. ....

The box depth was one reason I chose 12 inch deep frames - the bees can move further away from any turbulent air at floor/entrance level.

I never mentioned 'cold feet', Oliver. The whole space is colder.

So, there you have it: 'turbulent air at floor/ entrance level'. That's why I keep the inspection trays in - and so far I haven't yet lost a colony over winter (apart from a small queenless nuc).

I also note that honeybees seem uninterested in cold blossoms - presumably because they have no scent. When our apple tree is in blossom, but shadowed by a larger tree, the bees only go to the blossom in sun, and gradually work across the tree as the sun shifts in the sky. So I am slightly sceptical that an early start is useful.

I'm sure I read somewhere that on a large tree, the nectar concentration can be different if one part of the tree is in the sun, evaporating the water content, or some such wizardry. Can't remember where I read it though. It'll come to me ;)

Tell me about it, that's the story of my life but my skin has got a bit thicker (just like me ) over the years which means a lot is allowed to go over my head instead of making me bite.

Are you related to my old Grayling sparring partner... now gone ... hook line and sinker?

Nos da

The whole space is colder.

There you have it. You would not be suggesting the whole space is the same temperature, shirley?

Everyone else would know that it is warmer adjacent to the crownboard than at floor level. Most people realise that warmer air rises (it's called convection). And, yes, the floor is the normal level of the entrance, too. Most hives are placed with southerlyish facing entrances and UK prevailing winds are west of south, so will often blow into the entrance. Most wind under a hive will be turbulent below the OMF, I would think, slowed by the hive stand - and any other shelter afforded to the hive. I doubt there is often a great deal of air flow inside the OMF, and that which there is will remain below the lower level of the frames.

Having read the debate between our Welsh friends, I am sure that they will both be reconciled in union as this weekend sees the start of the Rugby Six Nations and they can join in common cause in supporting anyone at all playing England!!

Guys we all have strong opinions and passion and will often disagree strongly but for the sake of the wider reputation of our hobby it would be good if we could disagree with mutual respect.

I look forward to seeing my Welsh friends at Twickers in March!!

Sorry about going off on yet another tangent!!

The whole space is colder.

There you have it. You would not be suggesting the whole space is the same temperature, shirley?

Everyone else would know that it is warmer adjacent to the crownboard than at floor level. Most people realise that warmer air rises (it's called convection). ...

I know that - obviously. I was talking about the average space in a building as it affected me, personally.

.... Most wind under a hive will be turbulent below the OMF, I would think, slowed by the hive stand - and any other shelter afforded to the hive. I doubt there is often a great deal of air flow inside the OMF, and that which there is will remain below the lower level of the frames.

You would 'think', and you 'doubt' ... Perhaps, perhaps not. I'll stay safe and protect my bees from getting freeze-dried.

Latest posts

Back