Hive location advice needed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
- Standing in a busy flight path by mistake.

A few years ago we had a bumble bee nest in the garden, close to a patio area. Bees would frequently ping off our heads, but we never got stung and didn't even know about the nest until we cleared the garden to prepare it for some landscaping prior to letting.

While I was clearing the garden I stuck a fork into the nest. I spotted a bee, then a few more, then what looked like hundreds. They seemed threatening (I'm sure I would be if some ***** stuck a huge garden fork into my home), but didn't sting. I just backed off and went into the house until they settled down.

I don't know how the temperament of bumble bees compares to honey bees, but these definitely surprised me.

I don't know how the temperament of bumble bees compares to honey bees, but these definitely surprised me.

From my personal experience a Bumble Bee will put up with just about anything. I have frequently removed them from a room by cupping them in a hand fingers closed. I have never been stung.............yet.

Honey Bees on the other hand can be stroppy easily as a child of 5 or 6 all members of the family were stung because we had the effrontery to walk past hive at the heather., 210 to 30 feet way from them. (and before anyone asks no we were not in the flight path.

From my personal experience a Bumble Bee will put up with just about anything. I have frequently removed them from a room by cupping them in a hand fingers closed. I have never been stung.............yet.

Ditto - lots and lots of bumblebees in my garden, of several difference species, but the only stings I've ever got while gardening (or poking around the pollinators) have been from honey bees and wasps. Nearly got knocked off a stepladder by a bumbler the size of a beercan last year though.

Bumblebees are like wasps, they only nest in summer and overwinter as solitary queens. I think in late summer/autumn the queen runs out of queen substance and the workers start laying, and tempers go downhill from there - but like I said, never been stung by a Bombus.

On a similar vein, I am hoping to site my hives in a small herb garden (within a larger garden).

This is a working garden, but I'm expecting there to be no real problem collecting herbs in the normal way.

But what's the position about those times when 'serious' work has to be done: pruning, rearranging pots etc. and in particular, more disruptive tasks like pressure washing the tiles, or drilling things?

Dusty.

Just pop on your bee suit if you are concerned, then there is no problem.
However, if/when they turn nasty, make sure you have somewhere to move them if needed.
Cazza

Latest posts

Back