How much honey?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allotment-bee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Out of curiosity, how much honey would a standard national super hold when its full?

Going to order jars, don`t want too few.

Out of curiosity, how much honey would a standard national super hold when its full?

Going to order jars, don`t want too few.

your better off buying jars in bulk anyway, 100-200 at a time, a super could hold 25-30lb honey, buying just 30 jars is a bit non productive

You can pick up 100 jars for just under £30 inc delivery - I'm not expecting that much honey and they'll be a pita to store but it made sense compared to buying a smaller pack. Since they were just a few quid I also stuck in 100 tubs for cut comb ( I ran out of wired foundation so decided to pretend I meant to go foundationless :) )

your better off buying jars in bulk anyway, 100-200 at a time, a super could hold 25-30lb honey, buying just 30 jars is a bit non productive

there are other post in recent threads on this and i find it is 22-25 lbs for sn1/hoffmans at 12 to a box or 30lbs for manley frames at 10 to a box

and jars are cheaper by the pallet :sorry: but then you have the difficulty of hiding 20 large boxes from HWMBO

I will be storing 99 of them this year!

Oh don't, enrico
The sun will shine and your bees will find some Balsam.

I think we were spoilt by last year but even so it looks like lean pickings for me.
I'm planning on feeding one of my Pagden splits when I look in tomorrow.

First year as a beekeeper and my bees started off as a 5 frame nuc. They managed to fill two supers and I got approx 20kg of honey. It was around 8 frames of cut comb and 12 frames of pure honey. I filled around 35x 8oz jars from the 12 frames.

But I would recommend buying in lots of 100+ jars at a time. You will need it next year etc.

I felt a bit ridiculous ordering jars when I didn't think I would get enough honey this year to fill more than the jars I saved from Jam etc. in the end I ordered 36 hex 8 oz jars and 72 1lb jars just to make up an order to receive free postage. Did my first partial extraction last weekend and used up most of the jars. Now need to order more ;)

Wish I had ordered in bulk now.

Back