How far do you travel to visit your hives ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How far are your heather pastures?

15 minutes with two new and hopefully permanent sites planned for next year on a farm with real meadows (but high up)

and

20 minutes with two permanent apiaries almost at the foot of the hill

between 4 miles and 60 miles,

the 60 miles is purely for Borage,

Most sites are between 4 and 8 miles away.

C B

Google earth

Is quite handy to look what are pastures and how far.

There are "tools" in left upper corner and there you get a mouse yardstick .

When I now look Stiffys home place Kernow, I can see only cultivated fields.

My landscapes are mostly forest, but mostly dry cliffy forests, which give no honey.

Fields are zero pastures and bees must only fly over vast fields.

Young, down cutted forests, which have clay soil, are the best honey pastures.

These are main idea, where I put my hives. To drive 10 or 20 km, it is not important., when I load my car.

From Google I can really see, how much my cottage area has fields. And it has too much beehives on same pastures. Look from Google Earth Liikkala.

Bit scary having Finman able to look in my back yard !
My best sites are on the edge of a town and a village which also has a large heather moorland surrounding it. New site for next year includes a small village surrounded early doors with OSR, will be interested to see how they get on.
S

What sort of distance do you have to travel between apiaries with your bees,or how near are your hives kept from your home ?

Well, next year being only my second year in beekeeping, I can't tell you what I do now, but I can tell you what my options are for next year. I can't keep bees at my house, but there is a bee stall (apiary) within 5 minutes (by car or by bicycle) from my house, where I can keep up to 3 hives.

There are also bee stalls in neighbouring villages where I would be able to keep 2-3 hives each. All three these villages are exactly 8 km away as the crow flies, and they are all more than 8 km from each other. By car, I can reach any of them in 20 minutes. By bicycle, 45 minutes. By bicycle + two-person bicycle trailer (in which I can carry 1 hive or 2 nucs), 60 minutes.

A round trip that includes all four locations would take about 1 hour by car, or 3 hours by bicycle, or 4 hours by bicycle + trailer. That excludes time at the hives, of course. Not looking forward to cycling it, though.

Glad you put that down - nasty french things! :D
It's like when you go to Bruges - every other country has statues to great warriors such as Nelson and charlemagne, statesmen as diverse as Wilberforce and Mandela, Churchill and Lloyd George.
In Belgium - Simon Stevin the inventor of decimal fractions!!!!!!!!!!!

Pesonally I don't see the point

Door to door 660 miles . They survive quite happily for 6 months of the year with out me around .

20 metres up a very steep hill from my house. They are well above my roof height! No problems with standing in the flight path!!!
E

"Garden" - 60m
"Near Woods" - 400m
"Far woods" - 5000m

Quite and interesting observation, if the distance is less than a mile we seem to use meters and greater than meters we use miles, so km and yards are now redundant in beekeeping.

Keep them in my allotment, approx. 400m from home. They are within 800m of heather, balsam, some rural pasture, and a large village/small town, so they have plenty of forage thru the year

From half a mile to 10 miles.
I think 10 - 12 miles is far enough to travel.

both sites are just within 3 miles of my house and just on 3miles as the bee flies from each other. It can still take 30mins to get to one if the traffic is bad. I'm sure the roads down here are worse than London sometimes, ah it might be because on a bad/good day half of London is down here.

Latest posts

Back