Honey time in Chiangmai

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
A few pics from last Saturday's honey harvest. Its turning out to be a not-so-good year for honey in Chiangmai. Production in some areas is very low. These hives were OK though and are in a Lum Yai Orchard in Mae Deng District. Hoping for one more harvest next week, and that will be it for the year.

I will be staying in Lechlade in a few weeks time. Would love to have a look at some UK bees, if anyone is keeping near there.

Good luck to everyone in the UK, now that the weather is turning.

How do you keep the bees away whilst extracting?

The shrub resembles a shrub in the UK known as Japanese knotweed !
It has no natural enemies here ,so has become a bit invasive .
Come September the bees love it :D
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for sharing your photos.
I wish I cold go near my hives without a suit or gloves. Its not that the bees are particulary vicious but I react really badly to stings.

Hi Chiangmai Member, is the tree a species of Evodia aka Tetradium?

The shrub resembles a shrub in the UK known as Japanese knotweed !

Don't think it's similar - Knotweed's leaves are a lot more rounded, almost heart shaped alnd although there's a passing resemblance with the flowers, knotweed's tend to hang more in garlands.

Chiangmai is that Thailand?

Perhaps not all the same but this video I understand is Thailand a larger operation but looks similar.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLv390yWTjU&feature=g-vrec&context=G23f109bRVAAAAAAAABg[/ame]

Thanks for the comments. The shrub in the photo is the Longan, (Dimocarpus longan). It flowers here in Chiangmai from early March until late April and is the main source of nectar for bees, at that time. The small berries produced become ripe by August, when they are very sweet. The Thais believe that you should not eat too many of them if you are drinking beer, as peculiar things happen. This was verified last year, through my own independent research.

Nice photos

Looking at the video, i thought you weren't supposed to extract honey from brood frames or more exactly frames which did or had previously contained brood? Just what we were taught? any thoughts?

Back