fair price, particularly at this time of year

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Merry Xmas everyone - I've the opportunity of buying both some poly hives with colonies, some without, and other equipment - I appreciate these things are changeable, but I've read a few places (perhaps over-optimistically now, and I fear it may have been in two BBKA books that I read it, so..) that for used kit in good condition, 50% of the original RRP is reasonable, but is this still a (very) rough expectation? And though I well know the perils of buying colonies at this time of year - how much to add per occupied hive/nuc? Before anyone tells me... I KNOW! I CAN'T HELP MYSELF! :p Thanks v much as ever, R

3 months ago, I bought 3 colonies and 4+ hives worth of poly gear, a motorised 12 frame extractor and all sorts of accessories.
I was asked to propose a price to "cover costs".
As I couldn't preview any of it, I calculated the current retail price, then offered 1/3 of that.
The seller readily accepted.

You will have the labour and cost overhead of sterilising EVERYTHING - soaking in a bath of caustic soda soda crystals and bleach (sodium hypochlorite) solution. Please bear that in mind.

Last edited:
As I don't now (very often) buy first / full price hive hardware, I usually work on 50% of the seconds / sale price for good quality used items.
As for bees, you are taking the risk of survival over winter on the basis of the actions of another beekeeper. what's the price and is it worth the risk of having empty hives in the spring?

and the skin on your hands
I use diluted sodium hypochlorite (commonly used as a patio cleaner) as the bleaching agent. You don't want that stuff anywhere near you. I wear rubber gauntlets and safety goggles.

I've also developed a task-specific set of clothes I wear for this job, which have been damaged by the bleach over time.

I've also developed a task-specific set of clothes I wear for this job, which have been damaged by the bleach over time
I'm actually wearing a pair of jeans with one white leg at the moment - I was wearing them (brand new from the packet) whilst decanting a little neat hypochlorite from a full 25 litre drum when I slipped. works great for getting any black mould spots out of any bee suits you forget to bring in from the shed at the end of the season.

I'm actually wearing a pair of jeans with one white leg at the moment - I was wearing them (brand new from the packet) whilst decanting a little neat hypochlorite from a full 25 litre drum when I slipped. works great for getting any black mould spots out of any bee suits you forget to bring in from the shed at the end of the season.
You've made me feel better about my clothing sacrifices.
I've gone for the bleached traveling hippy look.
My wife sewed the patches.

Ps: I've worn this to Tesco's, on more than one occasion.

Attachments

• IMG_20231218_173403.jpg
    IMG_20231218_173403.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20231218_173444.jpg
    IMG_20231218_173444.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231218_173506.jpg
    IMG_20231218_173506.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
You've made me feel better about my clothing sacrifices.
I've gone for the bleached traveling hippy look.
My wife sewed the patches.

Ps: I've worn this to Tesco's, on more than one occasion.
Looks as if you are all ready for Glastonbury next year - you'll blend in perfectly.

Back