Honey rather than sugar

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only things the OP needs to remember is to remove any part-filled supers and (ideally) put them under the brood and also to remove the queen excluders.

Varroa may still need consideration and could be an issue.

Alternatively, excessive full supers could be removed to a reasonably warm area and stored. If the honey granulates, so be it. It can be sorted later. Better to get well than kill yourself for a honey crop.

RAB

Show us the nutritional breakdown of honey compared to sugar, so that the evidence is clear. This I have to see.

here you are

glycolysis_pathway.jpg

Last edited:
And I thought I'd seen the last of respiration for at least a few more weeks!! Fascinating stuff though.

Last edited:
Actually Finman, the image that you've hot linked to, is one of the glcolysis pathway which isn't what I asked for. The point that you don't seem to be able to see is that there is more to honey than carbohydrate, and this is vital to honey bee survival.

The nutritional breakdown for honey and sugar can be found all over the internet, but I've linked to two and quoted below:

Honey
1 cup -339g gives
Calories 1031(4317 kJ)
From Carbohydrate1027(4300 kJ)
From Protein3.4(14.2 kJ)
Carbohydrates
Total Carbohydrate 279g
Dietary Fiber 0.7g
Protein 1.0g
Vitamins
Vitamin C 1.7mg
Riboflavin 0.1mg
Niacin 0.4mg
Vitamin B6 60.1mg
Folate 6.8mcg
Pantothenic Acid 0.2mg
Choline 7.5mg
Betaine 5.8mg
Minerals
Calcium 20.3mg
Iron 1.4mg
Magnesium 6.8mg
Phosphorus 13.6mg
Potassium 176mg
Sodium 13.6mg
Zinc 0.7mg
Copper 0.1mg
Manganese 0.3mg
Selenium 2.7mcg
Fluoride 23.7mcg
Other
Water 58.0g
Ash 0.7g

and sugar...

1 cup - 339g

Calories 2271.25(5322.3 kJ)
From Carbohydrate 2271.25(5322.3 kJ)
Carbohydrates
Total Carbohydrate 339g
Sugars 339g

Now, please explain how sugar is nutritionally as beneficial as honey.

Now, please explain how sugar is nutritionally as beneficial as honey.

Why?

Question is that sugar is very good winterfood. Practice shows it. No problems with it.

I am tired on these tiny Brittish Napoleons. Stupid poking.

Only which is quite high is Potassium. What does it means to bees, i do not know.
bees get from pollen other nutritients except energy.

Last edited:
Finman, you are rather rude and so obtuse, but I've said all I need to.

Is sugar better than honey for winter feeding?
Well that depends, heather honey is not the best for overwintering bees and bees prefer sugar stores to granulated honey as this is always left until last which is often on the outer frames which can cause isolation starvation.

I feeded old honey to my hives and I lost half of my hives.
It was nosema which was in the honey.

many professionals say that give not a bit honey as winter food.
Except hives own honey. It is a way to deliver diseases.

If I was too poorly to take the supers off, I would ask someone else to do it for me, mostly for the reasons already cited, but to summarise:
It is better for the bees, and causes less stress and uses less energy for them to overwinter in a smaller volume box - less air to warm and humidify.
There is evidence that putting either thymol (or Fumidil B if it is still available where you are) in winter syrup feed reduces winter and spring losses caused by Nosema. There is a lot of proper science about this. It is definitely better than honey in preventing winter losses.
Also, if you plan to treat with oxalic acid at midwinter, it taints all the honey if you trickle the supers and renders it not fit for human consumption.

If I had no one to help me take the supers off I would leave them and hope for the best. Honey is not bad for bees, but there is no proof that it is better for them than syrup!

It is true that honey has other stuff in it apart from sugar, but in tiny amounts. It is mostly sugar. Pollen is a much better source of vitamins and minerals (plus of course the fats and proteins which are essential to creating new brood). It is therefore a red herring to quote the constituents of honey.

Forgive me... get well soon northernsoul.

...if you plan to treat with oxalic acid at midwinter, it taints all the honey if you trickle the supers and renders it not fit for human consumption.
Don't you trickle clustering bees? Why trickle 'supers'? Who is offering honey extracted from supers that were on a hive over winter for 'human consumption'?

Regards
Reiner :confused:

Just a thought RAB touched on it, what plan do you have for varroa treatment as all but the MAQ strips say that the honey must be removed before treatment, next year you could have contaminated honey and if they get no varroa treatment you may have no bees anyway, just a thought

why put super under,surly the bees put it above for some reason,(mabe to keep the crap out of it),get some help to remove the super from hives, and leave any unfinished frames on top for the bees to finish off,get well soon.

Latest posts

Back