Honey fraud in the UK

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B+.

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Quite a few
I don't think any of us, as beekeepers are surprised by findings like these, but, why do people buy something they must know is fake?
Is it, as I suspect, that the question is loaded to begin with (sampling bias)? By choosing the cheapest product available, are they automatically selecting those that are most likely to fail the test? In other words, it makes a story but doesn't accurately reflect reality. In either case, this is the image that our honey has to compete with.

I don't think any of us, as beekeepers are surprised by findings like these, but, why do people buy something they must know is fake?
Is it, as I suspect, that the question is loaded to begin with (sampling bias)? By choosing the cheapest product available, are they automatically selecting those that are most likely to fail the test? In other words, it makes a story but doesn't accurately reflect reality. In either case, this is the image that our honey has to compete with.
Perhaps they could have tested a range of honeys at different price points to see if there is a correlation between fakery and price.

The Waitrose honey is the only one that's close to OK.

Perhaps they could have tested a range of honeys at different price points to see if there is a correlation between fakery and price.

Exactly my point.
The implication from the survey is that all UK supermarket honey is fake. However, by sampling only the cheapest, the results are skewed. It would have been more useful if they had sampled at random.

I don’t think it’s wrong to check/sample the cheapest first, surely there looking for fake or adulterated product so logically you start with those products at the unrealistic price. Doesn’t mean to say the other end of the price spectrum can’t or won’t be done later. Given the volumes of claimed Manuka a may have chucked a couple of those jars in the mix as well though. Ian

Reactions: mbc
I don’t think it’s wrong to check/sample the cheapest first, surely there looking for fake or adulterated product so logically you start with those products at the unrealistic price. Doesn’t mean to say the other end of the price spectrum can’t or won’t be done later. Given the volumes of claimed Manuka a may have chucked a couple of those jars in the mix as well though. Ian

It seems that they did say in the accompanying text that it was a survey of the cheapest available honey but the title implies it is all UK supermarket honey saying "not one was compliant". You could also ask if a sample of 10 supermarkets from the thousands up and down the UK from southern counties is representative of the population.

Of course, the truth is that we see bias everywhere. I pulled this one out as it is close to our hearts as beekeepers.

Exactly my point.
The implication from the survey is that all UK supermarket honey is fake. However, by sampling only the cheapest, the results are skewed. It would have been more useful if they had sampled at random.
I am cynical enough to believe that is purely intentional, by deliberately creating a biased survey the real truth is masked.

Because they are sure that enough of it is not wholly fake to make it worth the cost?

I am cynical enough to believe that is purely intentional, by deliberately creating a biased survey the real truth is masked.
Come on they’ve done a survey it’s a sample, results being a lot of cheap honey is fake I think most of us thought that anyway. What do you think the real truth they are hiding is. I would have thought the results rather good for beeks in general, as far as I’m concerned the more cheap honey is crap stories the better or not?

Come on they’ve done a survey it’s a sample, results being a lot of cheap honey is fake I think most of us thought that anyway. What do you think the real truth they are hiding is. I would have thought the results rather good for beeks in general, as far as I’m concerned the more cheap honey is crap stories the better or not?
I am cynical ~ implication that cheap is fake therefore expensive is not ~ more profit for supermarkets. Someone pointed out the Manuka fiasco. The results might be good for smaller producers, but it won't stop the majority from buying more expensive brands even though they have no way of knowing what good honey is.

Exactly my point.
Another problem is that if all the samples fail the tests it casts doubt on the validity of the tests in the consumers' minds. ie "How can all honey be fake?".

Someone pointed out the Manuka fiasco. The results might be good for smaller producers, but it won't stop the majority from buying more expensive brands even though they have no way of knowing what good honey is.
Yes it was me that mentioned Manuka in my first post😂 Rather than suggesting a conspiracy could we not assume they had to start some place. I would suggest if such issues are proven in the cheaper end you’ll soon find the whole market with a light shining on it. And that would be rather a good thing!

Another problem is that if all the samples fail the tests it casts doubt on the validity of the tests in the consumers' minds. ie "How can all honey be fake?".
Come off it on that basis let’s not check it at all.🙈

Yes it was me that mentioned Manuka in my first post😂 Rather than suggesting a conspiracy could we not assume they had to start some place. I would suggest if such issues are proven in the cheaper end you’ll soon find the whole market with a light shining on it. And that would be rather a good thing!
Not really. I don't want to sell my honey at £1/Lb to supermarkets

I admire your optimism. Picking up on Repwoc's point (14) I now wonder which organisation actually footed the bill for the survey;)

Why? Surely it's important to show that authentic honey passes the tests.
Brings us to the crucial point that there is no industry standard, internationally recognised test, and if there was one it would be an arms race to keep it current ahead of the fakers who'd be flat out figuring out how to get round it.
Supermarkets do do tests, but mostly rely on proof of providence and a clear supply chain back to the producer.
From what I gather the issue can be at any step along the way, a little like cocaine each dealer may cut it with a little syrup to improve profits, by the time it gets to it's destination it's been through a few hands and an unscrupulous packer might even adulterate a bit more during the final packaging. Honey is gloopy difficult stuff to handle and it would need thorough mixing to disguise any adulteration, easiest done when changing containers.

Back