MAQS - Brave New World?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drstitson

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
From the (admittedly limited/biased sample) reports on here it occurred to me that in future practices of our predominant one-hiver hobbyists may have to change a little.

It is a fact that a late honey crop is a reality due to HB so many will be wishing to treat with MAQs. But that then raises the late Q- issue.

so it looks like the best approach is to ensure an end of season spare Q+ colony (thymol treated) is available to unite to "production" colony. whether this is a nuc or full box is no matter.

obviously those who do it for the love of bees and don't care about harvest are fine - supers off august; thymol on.
but for anyone with aspirations of a taste of golden stuff? perhaps acceptance of the need for space for 1 or 2 extra hives in their chosen apiary site (or at least access to a small out apiary).

if MAQs does not knock down queenie? so be it. at the end of the day having a spare overwintered colony to sell in spring will be an asset.

I think since man started beekeeping the two hives are better than one soon became obvious and repeated ever since, even long before the need of chemical intervention.

Tom is right. Spare hives are always a good insurance.
However, MAQS may be short lived for us hobby beekeepers. Hopguard should have a licence here next year and that seems a much more benign Tx.

However, MAQS may be short lived for us hobby beekeepers. Hopguard should have a licence here next year and that seems a much more benign Tx.

Never heard of it!
Made from natural hop compounds.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2y4rndPhlo"]HopGuard - Varroa Mite Control - YouTube[/ame]

From the (admittedly limited/biased sample) reports on here it occurred to me that in future practices of our predominant one-hiver hobbyists may have to change a little.

It is a fact that a late honey crop is a reality due to HB so many will be wishing to treat with MAQs. But that then raises the late Q- issue.

so it looks like the best approach is to ensure an end of season spare Q+ colony (thymol treated) is available to unite to "production" colony. whether this is a nuc or full box is no matter.

obviously those who do it for the love of bees and don't care about harvest are fine - supers off august; thymol on.
but for anyone with aspirations of a taste of golden stuff? perhaps acceptance of the need for space for 1 or 2 extra hives in their chosen apiary site (or at least access to a small out apiary).

if MAQs does not knock down queenie? so be it. at the end of the day having a spare overwintered colony to sell in spring will be an asset.

Or a queen right raising colony producing grafted queens for mating apideas / kielers and then any Q- issues post-MAQs can be solved by popping in a home grown and selected mated Queen :)

"Or a queen right raising colony producing grafted queens for mating apideas / kielers and then any Q- issues post-MAQs can be solved by popping in a home grown and selected mated Queen "

sure - but within the scope of those just wanting a hive or two for honey without the faff of loads of interventions?

Depending on price could make MAQS redundant. Don't seem to be any downsides looking at some of the beekeepers in the States who have been using it.

I must admit that I was going to use Apiguard, but kept delaying it as the Balsom was flowing. In the end I used MAQS. It was a very nervous time as I only have one hive, and no time for a new queen to mate. I would have loved to have the insurance policy of a second hive or mated queen.
I have come out the other side with a laying queen and some honey so I am happy. Maybe I was lucky.
What I would like to do is build up my apiary to two three or four colonies. Can anyone suggest the best way of doing this, and when. Obviously buying another nucleus in the spring is an option, but expensive. I don't really have access to swarms.
What is the best way of multiplying what I have?

Last edited:
I think one 'mistake' (mine included) has been to delay MAQS treatment.

It doesn't need to be an end-of-season treatment -- which is totally different to Thymol !

And in fact it is less dramatic with more hive volume (lots of supers still on the hive).

Just need a first-day max temperature below 30C ...

I'd like to see it packaged as single strips - as that seems plenty for a poly hive, especially if being used as part of an IPM scheme rather than hoping for total mite clearance.

"I don't really have access to swarms."

why not - no harm putting up the odd bait box and make sure you always have appropriate kit handy in case a swarm turns up whilst out and about.

easiest way to expand - make sure colony gets a good start and builds up really well in spring then do an A/S and make up a spare nuc or two.

With any joy all types of treatment will be redundant in the near future and we'll be able to get back to keeping our bees treatment free without horrendous losses. Its happening in some areas already and these things usually spread quickly once they get going, similar to how fluvalinate resistant mites spread quickly (or evolved in parallel).

I'd like to see it packaged as single strips - as that seems plenty for a poly hive, especially if being used as part of an IPM scheme rather than hoping for total mite clearance.

I think you are on to something with this.
Every varroa treatment thats come on the market has been developed for larger hives than most use in Britain and yet the doses arent scaled down.

Also, the 'IPM scheme rather than hoping for total mite clearance' will hasten the development of the balance needed between host and parasite so as we can forego treatments in the future.

Last edited:
I think you are on to something with this.
Every varroa treatment thats come on the market has been developed for larger hives than most use in Britain and yet the doses arent scaled down.

Also, the 'IPM scheme rather than hoping for total mite clearance' will hasten the development of the balance needed between host and parasite so as we can forego treatments in the future.

We can live in hope ... I'm on the way already to treatment free and I'm hopeful that, as long as they overwinter, they will remain with a low mite count and still be the big colony they are now ... splitting it to become A TWO HIVE OWNER !!

On a completely separate issue ... I put a feeder on the night before last as the weather was awful and they weren't flying ... immediately had interest in it with quite a few bees in there before I put the hive lid down. Checked feeder last night and was ready to top it up ... hardly anything taken !! Fussy little beggars clearly prefer their own food rather than fast food ... or perhaps they know best ?

2 colonies just in case has always been advised.

sure. but that suggestion typically entails 2 full equal colonies.
with MAQS it looks like might be prudent to have untreated spares in addition. to ensure status quo.

I don't see it quite like that. If MAQS is used mid season any queen malfunction can be addressed in the usual way. Maybe it's the fact that we are seeing beeks using this treatment late that is causing the concern?

No different to things as they are then? Two colonies 'just in case' has always been advised.

Yes ... plan always was to have more than one colony .. in a couple of years we hope to 'retire' to a smallholding and some degree of self sufficiency. Beekeeping to some extent (extent yet to be determined) was in the mix - depends upon where we end up living as to how many hives we will end up with.

You know, I don't run opposite to everything that has worked historically ... there's a lot of good practice found in beekeeping ancient and modern - the trick is to work out what works for me and the plethora of advice on here has been invaluable ... and remains so.

I agree that >1 hive and spare queens in nucs is the way to go. The one hive owner is a gambler IMO, but nothing wrong with being a gambler if that's what you like.

I am nervous about using MAQS and prefer to treat with thymol after removing supers, leaving the late flow (if any) for the bees to build up winter stores. I probably don't absolutely maximise honey production but it suits me. I have several poly nucs to over winter with mated queens in so I should be able to cope with Q- in spring. I feel happier doing this than keeping supers on really late & using MAQS.

I don't see it quite like that. If MAQS is used mid season any queen malfunction can be addressed in the usual way. Maybe it's the fact that we are seeing beeks using this treatment late that is causing the concern?
I would think that's right
It is a new treatment to most people and if used in spring once drones have appeared that would be safer than using it in September when it's too late for a replacement queen to be mated and laying in time for winter

Latest posts

Back