Hiveclean

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was told by a master bee keeper that hive clean and vita gold are a waste of money really. Just full of extraneous juices! Bit like Manuka.

Are the VMD the same body that check for chemicals / medicines in meat and all other food stuffs that then ensure it is fit for human consumption.

well they must be as that's what they were checking my honey for.

That's good then, not that its yours, but that there is someone who is responsible for checking these things.
We don't want to go back to the old days of meat pumped full of steroids and growth hormones...........

well they must be as that's what they were checking my honey for.

That's good then, not that its yours, but that there is someone who is responsible for checking these things.
We don't want to go back to the old days of meat pumped full of steroids and growth hormones...........

What I should have said is that the honey is collected by either your SBI or RBI and sent to them for testing, it is your SBI or RBI that chooses which beekeeper they will be contacting for the sample. The issue I had was that to check that the person that was collecting from mine was doing it correctly 2 people came down from the VMD and I wasn't told either that I was having my honey tested in advance or who these other people were other than they were watching that the test was done correctly and they were asking all sorts of in depth questions about my beekeeping and where I sold my products and what products I sold. If felt a bit like the Spanish inquisition and I was only told when the sealed package was taken out of the envelope at the point the collector had decided it was the hive that was being inspected was going to be tested.

I had no choice, I was also asked to product Medicines paperwork. I didn't have with me as who carries it with them when they do inspections. I was told to make sure the SBI gets to see it when I am asked.

I was told afterwards they are not allowed to tell you that they will be doing so in advance of the sample collection. Maybe an SBI or RBI could confirm this.

I also haven't had my results yet and this was 4 weeks ago. Its not been put on beebase.

Last edited:
I can't help wondering how much money is likely to be made available over the next few years to enforce any beekeeping directives, or to fund the inspectorate in its current form, frankly.

Lots more money than is currently available I expect, the country will be awash with money once we have left the EU.

Cut off and left to float away

There was talk about doing something similar with Steep Holm a few years ago, cutting the island off just below the water line, attaching some big floats, and floating if off on a high spring tide... down channel to a newly constructed concrete platform, for some reason or other the project was abandoned.

What I should have said is that the honey is collected by either your SBI or RBI and sent to them for testing, it is your SBI or RBI that chooses which beekeeper they will be contacting for the sample. The issue I had was that to check that the person that was collecting from mine was doing it correctly 2 people came down from the VMD and I wasn't told either that I was having my honey tested in advance or who these other people were other than they were watching that the test was done correctly and they were asking all sorts of in depth questions about my beekeeping and where I sold my products and what products I sold. If felt a bit like the Spanish inquisition and I was only told when the sealed package was taken out of the envelope at the point the collector had decided it was the hive that was being inspected was going to be tested.

I had no choice, I was also asked to product Medicines paperwork. I didn't have with me as who carries it with them when they do inspections. I was told to make sure the SBI gets to see it when I am asked.

I was told afterwards they are not allowed to tell you that they will be doing so in advance of the sample collection. Maybe an SBI or RBI could confirm this.

I also haven't had my results yet and this was 4 weeks ago. Its not been put on beebase.

My VMD National Surveillance Scheme results seem to be coming in with a report every week... last on for the Analysis AMs4 came in as negative. as would be expected from an area of outstanding natural beauty + SSSI with only low impact organic farming.
No detection of Vimto contamination!

Yeghes da

My VMD National Surveillance Scheme results seem to be coming in with a report every week... last on for the Analysis AMs4 came in as negative. as would be expected from an area of outstanding natural beauty + SSSI with only low impact organic farming.
No detection of Vimto contamination!

Yeghes da

Where are you finding them on beebase? or do you have to go onto the vmd website?

Where are you finding them on beebase? or do you have to go onto the vmd website?

VMD are sending me results as the do them.... confidential information I am lead to believe.

I did not ask for tests to be carried out... apparently some Beefarmer members were selected at random in each region.

I just go with the flow... less hassle that way!

Yeghes da

Who's thinking about removing their details from beebase?

If you are not on beebase do you come off the inspectors remit?

The nbu should be supportive of bees and beekeeping, this vmd **** is way out of hand and is the devils work, punitive to British beekeepers with no benefit to bees or consumers whatsoever, nbu should refuse to do their dirty work imho. Unfortunately the nbu, similar to all gov departments, is lead by greasy pole climbers happy to bend us over to be shafted by right wing ideology gone mad. Before anyone chimes in with arguments about quality control and product safety, what do environmental health, food standards agency and trading standards do? All the things vmd use as an excuse to exist. Other countries have treatment protocols published from government for safely and effectively using cheap generic stuff like organic acids and thymol, ours makes it illegal and sends threats about what may happen if we don't spend our pounds where they say. Shameful of the nbu to be involved, how many sbi's haven't used off label oxalic?

Last edited:
The nbu should be supportive of bees and beekeeping, this vmd **** is way out of hand and is the devils work, punitive to British beekeepers with no benefit to bees or consumers whatsoever, nbu should refuse to do their dirty work imho. Unfortunately the nbu, similar to all gov departments, is lead by greasy pole climbers happy to bend us over to be shafted by right wing ideology gone mad. Before anyone chimes in with arguments about quality control and product safety, what do environmental health, food standards agency and trading standards do? All the things vmd use as an excuse to exist. Other countries have treatment protocols published from government for safely and effectively using cheap generic stuff like organic acids and thymol, ours makes it illegal and sends threats about what may happen if we don't spend our pounds where they say. Shameful of the nbu to be involved, how many sbi's haven't used off label oxalic?

:iagree::iagree:

As I said, it's just another tory ploy to shackle us all onto the corporate treadmill aided by the sychophants who 'are only following orders.'

Better stop force feeding my bees anna'sbollicks steroids in that case, to tell you the truth - I did notice this year that some of the drones were developing tits!

Latest posts

Back