Hiveclean

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't help wondering how much money is likely to be made available over the next few years to enforce any beekeeping directives, or to fund the inspectorate in its current form, frankly.

beekeepers are liable for prosecution if traces are found during routine honey sampling.

In which case all beekeepers will be liable for prosecution due to the actions of the bees, because traces of oxalic will be found in every honey sample.

In which case all beekeepers will be liable for prosecution due to the actions of the bees, because traces of oxalic will be found in every honey sample.

Oxalic acid is part of honey. There is no traces because natural variation is between 20-80 units.

Trickling lifts 2-3% the OA level. In carrot you get 100 fold more oxalic acid than from honey

One basic thing is that do not use trickling in summer, because it kills larvae and eggs. What does hive clean? Where are tests?

IT is better to read EU varroa group's report, than invent a wheel. IT is all there.

Apiguard 3 kg tubs no longer available!!
I would like to add this item to the discussion. Usually buy a 3kg tub of Apiguard each year. This doses my hives and those of several other beekeeping friends.
I rang T-----s at Windsor to see if they had the tubs in stock? No we haven't been sent any from Wragby.
Rang Wragby - not available.
Rang C W---- Jones.. Lady tells me VMD have stopped the sale of 3kg tubs. Had to buy large number of sachets from CWJ. Even with postage saved me £30 on T----s prices.
What is going on?

It's the tory ethos - legislate and 'own' everything in sight so you can charge the great unwashed top dollar for everything they need.
Where there's chance of a profit - tie up the market.

'own' everything in sight so you can charge the great unwashed top dollar for everything they need.
Where there's chance of a profit - tie up the market.
Well Bayer ( pesticides) now own Monsanto ( GM organisms and Beeologics who do lots of research into honey bees). That should be interesting.

Well Bayer ( pesticides) now own Monsanto ( GM organisms and Beeologics who do lots of research into honey bees). That should be interesting.

yep heard that today £60billion cost. Shocking.

I can't believe Vita Gold is going, the SBI and RBI have been recommending it to treat bees with nosema in the spring.

We are using Hivemakers recipe for thymol in our Autumn syrup. I just hope we don't have any problems next Spring because from the sound of it there won't be anything left if there is an issue.

I can't believe Vita Gold is going, the SBI and RBI have been recommending it to treat bees with nosema in the spring.

We are using Hivemakers recipe for thymol in our Autumn syrup. I just hope we don't have any problems next Spring because from the sound of it there won't be anything left if there is an issue.

The only active thing in Vitafeed gold was the thymol anyway, the rest was just a mix of snakeoil and magic fairy dust. probably better, cheaper and more effective using HM's emulsion in the winter feed anyway - it's too late in the spring

Technically you are breaking the law using HMs recipe as its a treatment that is self made.

Quote from Beebase:-

Veterinary Medicines Regulations 2013

The Veterinary Medicines Regulations sets out legal text on the manufacture, authorisation, marketing, distribution and post-authorisation surveillance of veterinary medicines. Honey bees are classed as a food producing animal and therefore beekeepers must comply with these regulations. Generic substances such as Oxalic acid or self-made thymol solutions should not be used and beekeepers are liable for prosecution if traces are found during routine honey sampling. It is important to note that some products available on beekeeping manufacturers’ websites are not registered medicinal products and although available, should not be administered to a colony.

Technically you are breaking the law.... just by living!

It would seem to me that all these regulatory bodies are mere quangos set up to profit the government and its minions and the VMD is just one of the plethora of bodies set up to make life difficult.... definitely not protecting the populous.
Yet infected live bees and tons of contaminated honey are allowed into our tiny island!

Ever read UTOPIA?

What a sad world of compliance we are forced to live in!

Nos da

[COLOR="DarkRed the VMD is just one of the plethora of bodies set up to make life difficult.... definitely not protecting the populous.
What a sad world of compliance we are forced to live in!
Nos da

Are the VMD the same body that check for chemicals / medicines in meat and all other food stuffs that then ensure it is fit for human consumption.

Well i hope VMD start checking the very cheap honey imports from some places and check it's just honey.

I see the American equivalent agency does the same thing. This from yesterdays news.......

'The Food and Drug Administration, under public pressure to start testing samples of U.S. food for the presence of a pesticide that has been linked to cancer, has some early findings that are not so sweet.
In examining honey samples from various locations in the United States, the FDA has found fresh evidence that residues of the weed killer called glyphosate can be pervasive - found even in a food that is not produced with the use of glyphosate. All of the samples the FDA tested in a recent examination contained glyphosate residues, and some of the honey showed residue levels double the limit allowed in the European Union, according to documents obtained through a Freedom of Information Act request. There is no legal tolerance level for glyphosate in honey in the United States.
Glyphosate, which is the key ingredient in Monsanto Co.’s Roundup herbicide, is the most widely used weed killer in the world, and concerns about glyphosate residues in food spiked after the World Health Organization in 2015 said its cancer experts determined glyphosate is a probable human carcinogen. Other international scientists have raised concerns about how heavy use of glyphosate is impacting human health and the environment. '

Yet Aspartame is permitted in our food.... flagged up as a carcinogen that can cause brain cancer.

To carry the debate further ( on a mature note as this is serious discussion) if a beekeeper used a "registered" beekeeping medicine containing thymol or oxallic acid, how would the VMD detect traces in honey from a non approved product containing the same substances.

Perhaps the manufacturers of the approved product could tag their compounds with a radio isotope... and if the radio isotope could not be detected in your honey sample and it contains oxallic or thymol the VMD could confiscate the contaminated product and bring a prosecution against you?

Big Brother?

Nos da

Back