Hive Alive BBC2 On Now!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree.

Dear BBC - Here is a suggestion for the next program title....(In the knowledge someone on the forum might run with this :ohthedrama:)

'So you want to bee a beekeeper?'

The fundamentals
Where to start - Who to talk too (Associations etc)
When to start - Cover seasonality
What you will need to get going (Basic equipment / alleviating expenditure i.e. shared association resources)

Then move onto how and as importantly more of the why.....

Should spin out (No pun intended) to four or five episodes....:paparazzi:

If nothing else, the above might spin up a dialogue regarding the content of this yet to be series....

Great idea - excellent follow-up series - but...... Firstly, change the presenters - last night they were dressed in 70's outfits (I think Martha had kept that blue jacket since buying it in 1974) and secondly, use a younger person in the programme - or include a school hive - beekeeping is for everyone who wants a serious hobby with continual learning, challenges and mysteries - a younger person would broaden the appeal. And yes, before the critics jump on me for pointing out clothing, it is important, portrays professionalism, thought, image. If the audience think everyone dresses like last nights lot they'll be turned off.

Agree.

Dear BBC - Here is a suggestion for the next program title....(In the knowledge someone on the forum might run with this :ohthedrama:)

The fundamentals
What you will need to get going (Basic equipment / alleviating expenditure i.e. shared association resources)

If nothing else, the above might spin up a dialogue regarding the content of this yet to be series....

Plus...

There is no guarantee of honey every year and you may have to buy sugar to feed them!

Bees can be vicious and intimidating - and it will be your responsibility to deal with them if they are.

Like holidays in May, June or July? The little blighters will swarm and you'll loose them!

Etc. etc.

The programme has given the general public a good insight into bees and possibly they also now know that a swarm in their tree is not as dangerous as they had always believed, and that they dont have to barricade themselves in thier houses.
However, now that those people now find bees quite interesting, perhaps advice could have been given that there is substantially more work involved in keeping bees than just buying a hive and bees for garden decoration, and leaving them to it.

It is possible to do just that and many colonies will do just fine in sub optimal conditions left alone to their own devices.. however, they will have to get used to frequent swarms and periods of no bees what so ever.

However,
to obtain a regular honey crop ... avoid swarms causing other conflicts ... reducing the impacts of disease, keeping the hive occupied .. your point is well made, and the difference should be made known on such a programme.

Tthe difference between having a honeybee nesting box and "Bee keeper"

I think both are valid but very different

Getting a bit short on presenters now - they're either lying low or stirring porrage!

They're both very good presenters. All the rest would do is say wow and how great everything is while pulling faces in wide eyed wonder.

They're both very good presenters.
Or should that be pwesenters? I beg to differ - annoyingly smug is the description I get from most people who discuss his style.

I think that we should start another pointless online petition to demand the government pump billions into genetic engineering so we can clone David Attenborough and others of his excedtional quality!
And what happened to David Bellamy - expunged from the lists together with people like Robin Page. Because he dared voice that the countryside is not one big theme park like the bunny huggers and townies would like to believe.

At the risk of opening a can of worms...what's the problem with manuka honey? The latest clinical research continues to show its effectiveness. It's used in wound care clinics. Just don't eat it for health - you'll rot your teeth, get fat and be eating a not-very-nice honey - but the wound care story gets more convincing as time goes on.

Honey was used in the health service until the late 50s/early 60s when mu mum was starting her nursing training, so can't tell you if that was London or Dublin as she was in both in the early day.

But that wasn't manuka honey, and surely the use of honey in poultices for centuries suggests manuka is not the only type that has curative/restorative powers.

I think most of us on here have a bit of a hangup about Manuka honey I'm afraid ... mostly concerns at the way it was marketed and the fact that there's no way there could be that much pure Manuka honey in the world from TRUE Manuka sources.

And that the NZ government has had to investigate widespread fraud.

It was a great chance for the Cornish gardener to push his product, mind.

Pargyle - it's great to have a critical audience! All cm,ents much appreciated. i absolutely hate how manuka honey is marketed and people talk about eating a spoonful a day etc. I'm talking to a few people about getting this story on a wider platform...watch this space

Great idea. Maybe a team up with the natural dugs guy crossed with Watchdog, eh?

Agree.

The fundamentals

Why not send it to the BBC, Mammoth?

And yes, before the critics jump on me for pointing out clothing, it is important, portrays professionalism, thought, image. If the audience think everyone dresses like last nights lot they'll be turned off.

Ridiculous. What should they wear, a shirt and tie? Evening wear?

And at a time when the BBC is under pressure about its representation of older women, it is unlikely to put some youngster on to replace Kearney. Or at least I hope so.

Anyway, those presenters were far more representative of beekeeper demographics. No need to 'dress it up'.

With reference to the idea about a mini series about beekeeping why not aim it at families. Take 2 or 3 families in different locations(urban & country) team them up with an expert beekeeper and follow them through a year or two. It would get away from the image of beekeepers being of the older generation.

Dare I say Omlet have done a series of short videos following a family learning about beekeeping and it is quite informative.

I am intrigued about the 'costume'...? What 'should' we have worn?

How about, in Martha's case, something new? It's not about shirts and ties, but fresh, clean image, not 'outlet-sourced' seconds as in the case of the other chappie. I'm excluding you from my image criticism Adam as I thought you got it about right. If we want beekeepers to come from a wider audience than the beard and sandals or retiree brigade then that's how we have to present the hobby. It does matter.

How about, in Martha's case, something new? It's not about shirts and ties, but fresh, clean image, not 'outlet-sourced' seconds as in the case of the other chappie. I'm excluding you from my image criticism Adam as I thought you got it about right. If we want beekeepers to come from a wider audience than the beard and sandals or retiree brigade then that's how we have to present the hobby. It does matter.

Quite right.

In summer weather like we are having - and the program had - beekeepers should be wearing T shirts and shorts.. or at least manage bees that allow them to do so..

Ideally no veils as well.. but given the propensity of some viewers to wear scent or aftershave which may annoy bees, that could be a step too far.

As for leather gauntlets...

Something new...???

Why? They were in a garden, not the studio or Lyons Corner House.

Clean fresh image???..... how fresh do you look after wearing a bee suit and veil for an hour.?

As for health /healing properties I too find germolene or savlon is good for treating an open wound, I wouldn't be stupid enough to spread it on my breakfast though

Please don't use the above on any wound!! Once touched bacteria can rapidly increase. Then reintroduced into a wound..
Any wound... clean well..dry, non stick dressing. Fresh air when possible.

I am intrigued about the 'costume'...? What 'should' we have worn?

I have recently changed my routine from morning apiary inspections to late afternoon/evenings which is a Godsend as the tails of my frock coat were a pain to get into my beesuit and would stay rumpled and creased afterwards. The biggest problem now is when is the watershed from lounge suit to dinner jacket? and as I do insist on tying my own tie it can be a bit of a fiddle. Damn - just thought of something else: if the inspection is queen related should black tie be shunned in favour of white tie? tails again!!!!!:hairpull: (we don't have mess kit any more)

Or should I be wearing a smoking jacket? :biggrinjester:

I have recently changed my routine from morning apiary inspections to late afternoon/evenings which is a Godsend as the tails of my frock coat were a pain to get into my beesuit and would stay rumpled and creased afterwards. The biggest problem now is when is the watershed from lounge suit to dinner jacket? and as I do insist on tying my own tie it can be a bit of a fiddle. Damn - just thought of something else: if the inspection is queen related should black tie be shunned in favour of white tie? tails again!!!!!:hairpull: (we don't have mess kit any more)

Or should I be wearing a smoking jacket? :biggrinjester:

I suggest you stay in your tweed jacket and plus fours:

Latest posts

Back