Hive Alive BBC2 On Now!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pargyle, were you in politics? You've stretched that extrapolation beyond breaking point. If we don't attract a younger crowd who will look after the bees in 20 years time?

Why does it need to be a younger crowd?

I was 61 when I started. Or 60.

I think I still have bees somewhere..

As for health /healing properties I too find germolene or savlon is good for treating an open wound, I wouldn't be stupid enough to spread it on my breakfast though

Please don't use the above on any wound!! Once touched bacteria can rapidly increase. Then reintroduced into a wound..
Any wound... clean well..dry, non stick dressing. Fresh air when possible.

V topical, thanks: I have a new (tiny) incision that a waterproof dressing has kept open for 24 hours. Fresh air now, and contemplating putting some of my honey on...

Unless he's truly descended from Celtic Royalty? :D
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My great (x 24) grandfather, Rhys ap Tewdur was Henry VII's great grandfather, further back our lineage goes to Hywel Dda (Hywel the good, king of Wales) and beyond and back to the time when there was just Britain - no England.........which is nice :)

I've just got Dick Turpin in my family tree, but a cousin of my grandfather's has both Dick and Judge Jeffries. Family weddings must have been interesting.

The only famous member of my family is remembered for his creation of 'The Antediluvian Order of Apathetics '
It failed to take of due to lack of interest!
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why does it need to be a younger crowd?

Had a lot of people ask me questions about this program and finally watched them both last night, can't say I've had anyone my age group ask questions (24). Maybe if a young 24 year old was in it they might watch it ;)?

Had a lot of people ask me questions about this program and finally watched them both last night, can't say I've had anyone my age group ask questions (24). Maybe if a young 24 year old was in it they might watch it ;)?

Hi Bates, I hope they ask you to do it - but please don't nip up to the outlet shops and buy a Viyella polo shirt like Chris did.

Bates, what was the last program that wasn't sport that generated debate?

I thought the documentary was ace. Would love to see another episode covering autumn and winter activities such as the science behind winter bees,heater bees and clustering.

I know Chris's shirt was somewhat loud but its going a bit far to be critical of Martha's dress sense and age of. By the way, I've worked with Chris and he is one of the best presenters at speaking off script and for a long periods, something many of the new wanabees cannot do.
It's not just the loudness of his shirt, poor presentation style, age of Martha's clothes - it's the whole image they are putting forward. They need to modernise, smarten up, appeal to younger people. I know others will criticise my comments, but it matters.

Why do 'they' need to appeal to younger people? Younger people can't afford to start beekeeping –-I know I couldn't when in my 20s – and in any case, they're hardly going to be the viewing audience for this show.

Maybe you should write to the BBC and ask for a beekeeping Network 7 or The Word, but I fear you'd be disappointed about the editorial direction even if the clothes and presenters passed muster...

Why do 'they' need to appeal to younger people? Younger people can't afford to start beekeeping –-I know I couldn't when in my 20s – and in any case, they're hardly going to be the viewing audience for this show.

Maybe you should write to the BBC and ask for a beekeeping Network 7 or The Word, but I fear you'd be disappointed about the editorial direction even if the clothes and presenters passed muster...

It's simple. The bee needs long term care, development of colonies, long term solutions to current problems (pesticides, verroa, etc.). Most of us are aware that beekeeping takes years of experience to master, many old hands on here are still learning, there's a new challenge every day so it seems. We need the younger generation to get involved now to build that know-how, experience, master the skills and learn from us who will not be here for ever. I don't agree about not being able to afford it - they seem to find the money for iPads, iPhones, Xbox, so why not for bees?

We need the younger generation to get involved now to build that know-how, experience, master the skills and learn from us who will not be here for ever. I don't agree about not being able to afford it - they seem to find the money for iPads, iPhones, Xbox, so why not for bees?

If they continue to drive around texting and fiddling with Satnavs I'll probably be here longer than them.

They get withdrawal symptons if they cant find free wifi............

Beekeeping is a skill that wont die out.

Pargyle, were you in politics? You've stretched that extrapolation beyond breaking point. If we don't attract a younger crowd who will look after the bees in 20 years time?

What are you bleating about? What clue do you have about who watched and liked the programme? My grandad watched it. Loved it, he's 84. My aunt watched it and was fascinated , 56. I really liked the programme. I'm 32. My nephew was also fascinated at the age of 4. And what have clothes got to do with anything?!? Get over yourself and learn to appreciate a good thing. Bloody hell...

Latest posts

Back