HIIVE...the latest gimmick

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The video says that the Hives' internal climate is "relatively (to the outside?) dry and warm", from memory isn't the relative humidity around 75% to 80% in the brood area and it would be higher in the upper honey areas?

The vapor barrier mentioned, wouldn't that then just take the needed moisture away from the brood area... the humidity *inside* the cell needs to be I think 95% for a 99% successful hatching rate.

I am still trying to work out where the matches go ...

Some people think that since bees do swarm in nature, that would be a good thing and those people also may not be too concerned with taking the honey either but may want to have bees pollinate their landscape. I don't think it is designed for the serious beekeeper.
Can someone only bee a 'serious beekeeper' if interested in honey and swarm control?

But where are all the swarms going to live - maybe chimneys as they become redundant, or perhaps abandoned cars that nobody can afford to run anymore or plastic wheelie bins and compost boxes that litter the urban environment; trees will take a good few years to grow.

Can someone only bee a 'serious beekeeper' if interested in honey and swarm control
can't even be considered a beekeeper if they don't at least attempt to manage their bees swarming IMHO

Previous arguments aside.
I notice there is a construction type vapour barrier, natural insulation over and some kind of fabric outer layer.
Assuming the outer layer needs to include some kind of man made material in its make up(avoiding rapid breakdown/deterioration). The inner membrane, I would assume to be a breathable material that lets moisture out but not in(such as Tivek roofing membrane). Finally a hemp insulation sandwiched between the outer/inner skins.
I spent several years insulating buildings both domestic and commercial. I cannot see this being effectively breathable. It needs to breathe to allow air flow within the brood/store chambers to avoid significant heat, moisture and mould build up.
In similar situations within the building industry, a cavity between the inner core and insulation is required for airflow. This cavity needs to be open at the base with an appropriate insect mesh. This also acts to dissipate moisture build up within the cavity escaping through the inner membrane.
Unless their cross sectional diagram is incomplete, the inhabitants would suffer in all conditions.
Insulating homes and businesses in this way has been hugely successful. Some of the projects we were involved with never used heating in winter. However, they complained of over heating in summer. Designers had under estimated the efficiency of insulating in this way.
Airflow is key, without it the inhabitants will possibly cook.
Apologies in advance for the long winded post.

Latest posts

Back