HIIVE...the latest gimmick

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks a lot better visualy than the Gardeners Bee Hive, and not quite so many "Installation of Bees" videos.

I actually like it, won’t be investing though, not for me. It looks nice and obviously not about a honey harvest so ideal for natural beekeepers who want bees but don’t want to disturb them too much. I think a small colony would like to live there too and I guess it’s designed for the bees to live in and experience so in that respect it’s a good product design.

I actually like it, won’t be investing though, not for me. It looks nice and obviously not about a honey harvest so ideal for natural beekeepers who want bees but don’t want to disturb them too much. I think a small colony would like to live there too and I guess it’s designed for the bees to live in and experience so in that respect it’s a good product design.
Mine are happy in a box

d5e7077e-1377-4f65-8acb-17e7a55a0fd6.jpg

I think a small colony would like to live there too and I guess it’s designed for the bees to live in and experience so in that respect it’s a good product design
a swarm factory and totally impractical as a means of getting honey - even a small amount.
Another day to make the spirit of PT Barnum smile

supposedly better for bees and "not for the greedy" who want to excessively exploit their bees
https://www.kickstarter.com/project..._o2kt3KRjhsBe4IQTQ0MecU4WeS0Pe2waAnFTEALw_wcB
That made me smile. Bees have been around for 30 million years or so. Cave paintings show human hunters taking comb from wild bees – then at least 5,000 years a go to make honey gathering easier, the Greeks, Egyptians, and the Romans began to “domesticate” their bees. When did humans not excessively exploit them ?

Mine are happy in a box

View attachment 31010
I keep bees in boxes too and they are also quite happy, just saying it also looks good design-wise for the bees, similar to a log hive. It's good people come up with new designs for things taken as granted, or we'd never evolve. It's not a hive style competition. I simply think they will work for some people and bees!

a swarm factory and totally impractical as a means of getting honey - even a small amount.
Another day to make the spirit of PT Barnum smile
Some people think that since bees do swarm in nature, that would be a good thing and those people also may not be too concerned with taking the honey either but may want to have bees pollinate their landscape. I don't think it is designed for the serious beekeeper.

The video says that the Hives' internal climate is "relatively (to the outside?) dry and warm", from memory isn't the relative humidity around 75% to 80% in the brood area and it would be higher in the upper honey areas?

The vapor barrier mentioned, wouldn't that then just take the needed moisture away from the brood area... the humidity *inside* the cell needs to be I think 95% for a 99% successful hatching rate.

Also they mention Book Scorpions (Pseudoscorpion), even though research has shown they devour Varroa mites, further research has also shown that they avoid any area where the honey bee frequents, so they are not able to fight varroa mites as is being implied.

FINALLY they have raised €91,957 ... with "191 backers" does that mean that the average donor has given €481.45 ??? They appear to have only had an original target of €9,144 ("pledged of €9,144 goal")

OK full disclosure, whenever the internet came out I couldn't initially see the fuss, now I do, but when Twitter, Pokemon and other bizarre stuff (what the heck is Candycrush and TikTok all about) came out I have never understood it, is this an internet thing that has gone over my head again?

OK full disclosure, whenever the internet came out I couldn't initially see the fuss, now I do, but when Twitter, Pokemon and other bizarre stuff (what the heck is Candycrush and TikTok all about) came out I have never understood it, is this an internet thing that has gone over my head again?

I was operations manager at an internet service provider in the late 90s. Even I feel that way sometimes these days.

James

I keep bees in boxes too and they are also quite happy, just saying it also looks good design-wise for the bees, similar to a log hive. It's good people come up with new designs for things taken as granted, or we'd never evolve. It's not a hive style competition. I simply think they will work for some people and bees!
My box is up a tree. Been there for five years unmolested.

Latest posts

Back