Grumpy Neighbours

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only problem might come when the original landowner complains that you're straying from the route of the public footpath to access the new gate.

I'm still struggling as to why you need to leap over fences or cut new gateways.....don't they have access to any of their land?

The only problem might come when the original landowner complains that you're straying from the route of the public footpath to access the new gate.

Exactly - we're all getting our knickers in a twist about the fence but I'm sorry the OP shouldn't be crossing private land to get there in the first place!
Why is it nowadays that people think that farmland is fair game for anything but would be up in arms if people treated their front lawns the same way?

I'm still struggling as to why you need to leap over fences or cut new gateways.....don't they have access to any of their land?

:yeahthat:

There is another access route, or rather there was when I started keeping Bees there.
If I use the farm entrance i then have 3 electrified fences, and two gates to negotiate. (They werent there 3 years ago, but things change).

When I took the site on it was excellant.
However things do change.
The farm changed from growing crops to keeping Horses, hence all the fences.

However as far as Honey Harvest is concerned these Hives have always been the best.

I shall over winter the Hives that are there and then have a re-think in the new year as to what I want to do with the site.

Farmer should have given you a safe route to the hives I would have thought.

Firstly, check the ownership of that fence. It may not belong to her.
Secondly, do you have to leave the footpath to reach the fence? Might be a problem, but perhaps the path should be adjacent to the fence/hedgerow and the line of the path has been moved further into her field.
Thirdly, what could the outcome be, if you were to ignore her protestations.

Has the fence deteriorated due to your use? If so, you could offer to reinforce it.

Better to ask why there is a problem, taking along a peace offering at the time.

Lastly it is not likely to be a police matter unless it concerns criminal damage; more likely a civil matter for which she would have to pay to get an injunction? I don't know what that 'freedom to roam' law might include in cases like this.

RAB
Have you checked that this path is a Public Footpath with the local authority or The Ramblers. There are laws covering the blockage of Public Footpaths. an appropriate means of crossing the land must be provided where there is a division of the land by a fence or wall:rules:
If the land is crossed by a Public Footpath the land owner is responsible for providing adequate access to the path and for maintaining the path, which can be a pain I acknowledge. however to deliberately block the access is an offence and the blockage can be removed by persons requiring to pass on the path. FIRST CHECK THE LEGAL STATUS OF THE PATH.:rules:

I live in a House full of women.
My Hives are full of female Bees.
And by profession I am a Staff Nurse, working with a mainly female establishment of staff.
So Hormones is something I am definately aware of

Amen to that Bro....

For three years now I have been using a public footpath across this 'ladys' land to gain access to my site, and then jumping over the fence into the field where my Hives are.

Have you checked that this path is a Public Footpath with the local authority or The Ramblers. There are laws covering the blockage of Public Footpaths. an appropriate means of crossing the land must be provided where there is a division of the land by a fence or wall:rules:
If the land is crossed by a Public Footpath the land owner is responsible for providing adequate access to the path and for maintaining the path, which can be a pain I acknowledge. however to deliberately block the access is an offence and the blockage can be removed by persons requiring to pass on the path. FIRST CHECK THE LEGAL STATUS OF THE PATH.:rules:

Read the OP - landowner isn't blocking the path: OP is using the path then straying off it, doesn't really matter whether the path is in the middle of the field or directly abutting the fence - you should not leave the path

Read the OP - landowner isn't blocking the path: OP is using the path then straying off it, doesn't really matter whether the path is in the middle of the field or directly abutting the fence - you should not leave the path

Spot on. So many of you who are posting here are ignoring the problem as originally outlined. Since he first posted, the OP has spoken with the landowner, she's said why she doesn't want him hopping over the fence and he's found an alternative route. He's wrong but romantic, she's right but repulsive. End of story.

Back