Fermented Honey - feed to bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honeysuckle

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am thinking about my winter preparations and have a super of heather honey that was on my bees last winter. It was not extracted as it had been on them whilst they were treated with Apiguard. The combs have been stored in a sealed plastic box in the shed for the year. When I opened the lid it there was a slight winey smell, so I am not sure if the honey is beginning to ferment.
My question is: Do you think these frames of honey would be OK to feed back to the bees this winter? If not, any suggestions for the honey? (They are 90% capped).
Thank you in advance.
H

When I have tried to feed slightly fermented honey ( stuff under the uncapping tray that had been in the kitchen a few days) my bees wouldn't take it. I didn't realise it was fermenting until after I smelled it. Will it give them dysentry or not if you feed it. I would try it.

would you eat it?
Why give them something that is manky. If this happens I get a hose pipe and wash it all out.

Yes, I did try the honey and it tasted fine to me... despite the fact that it may be tainted with last year’s Apiguard (which, incidentally, I could not taste).
H

If you are happy to eat it then maybe it is not as bad as thought. When uncapped honey starts to ferment you can usually see the bubbles in the honey in the comb.

Yes, I did try the honey and it tasted fine to me... despite the fact that it may be tainted with last year’s Apiguard (which, incidentally, I could not taste).
H

At least you won't suffer from varroa mites
:D

Anyone gave back frames with some honey starting to ferment to the bees? Based on research common sense tells me if there is a chance of causing dysentery its not worth it. Anyone try this in real life?

Anyone gave back frames with some honey starting to ferment to the bees? Based on research common sense tells me if there is a chance of causing dysentery its not worth it. Anyone try this in real life?
Why ? Do you have some you are thinking about feeding to your bees ? This is very old thread that's been resurrected.

Anyone try this in real life?
In real life I sell it at market and demand far outstrips supply. Price is 12% below standard retail of 0.0279/g, or £14/lb.

Mind you, there are degrees of fermentation and it can go from pleasant fizzy to rank and runny. The latter (30lb from a spring cut-out) is destined for vinegar production.

Not worth the bother or risk to give it to bees, and anyway, with spring nectar coming in they won't touch it. If you must, give it on a dearth or in late summer when nothing is coming in.

Why ? Do you have some you are thinking about feeding to your bees ? This is very old thread that's been resurrected.
That's right. Checked the super/brood frames stored over the winter. Moisture got in some of the boxes and the frames that had some honey left in smell a bit fermented. Seen bubbles in the honey on one of the frames.

That's right. Checked the super/brood frames stored over the winter. Moisture got in some of the boxes and the frames that had some honey left in smell a bit fermented. Seen bubbles in the honey on one of the frames.
Nothing wrong with giving that back to the bees - all my supers are stored wet, almost all are fermenting by the spring, all goes back on the hives, never has it caused a problem for the bees, in fact at the moment the bees at the home apiary are spending quite a bit of their time in the 'Super store' by now a lot of the fermented honey had made its way to the bottom of each pile and is dripping on tho the floor, where it's quickly mopped up by the bees

Latest posts

Back